Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo friends. Ive bought a sportster 1200C from 2009.
Ive disassembled whole bike and cleaned the frame, fork etc.
This is my first "new" sportster. Something suprised me - frame neck is not straight to bikeline. Upper part is to the right in comparison with lower part of neck. Swing arm is not in the centre to the bikeline, it is placed slightly to the left of the bike and rear wheel is not centered in the swingarm.
What a f..ck?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just for more info for others to help do all the parts look to be stock for that year. Someone may have tried to rake it for a longer front end. As far as the swing arm look up some used ones on Ebay to see if they match what you have. I use this as a good reference tool

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I don't know what to say about the neck, that just sounds wrong. But you can possibly look at this site to see if the spacers and all are in the right place for the rear wheel. Hope it helps.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...-Street-Bike-XL-SPORTSTER%AE-1200C-CUSTOM-(CT)

Sorry, I can't make it a link. You'll have to copy and paste.

Shit, even that doesn't go straight to your bike. Anyway, there are drawings on that site that you can look at that may help answer some of your questions.

·
Retired citizen
24,533 Posts
Use a long (3') piece of wood dowel or PVC that fits into the neck and extend it down to the floor. Measure along the center line from the dowel / PVC along the center line of the frame. Should be equal.
Also if you have a magnetic base laser level that could substitute for the dowel / PVC.
The swingarm has a slight offset for the belt sprocket.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Looks to be right to me. Here is my 1993 belt drive set up There has to be more room on the belt side for the sprocket. It may look weird as the belt guard is off it. If you notice there is a spacer extending out on the right side for the clearance. The tire itself is in line with the frame. The swing arm has extra width on the right to compensate for the belt thickness. I also noticed when I took off the right shock and replace it after painting the springs that it would only go on one way. This is more than likely due to the offset as well

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
24,533 Posts
If the front tire would be on there's an easy way to measure alignment front to rear.
Get the front put back together.
Also get the rear wheel adjusters equal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts