Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It'll work, but you have to deal with the issue of the fork stop. Some softails have external, where as some have internal. So the year of the Xl fork is going to make a difference.

For those apposed...... Dyna Superglide is an FLH frame, engine and trans, with an XL fork.

You'll probably have better looks with an XL 21" front wheel, vs the 19", IMHO.

Reactions: rocket rick

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
It'll work, but you have to deal with the issue of the fork stop. Some softails have external, where as some have internal. So the year of the Xl fork is going to make a difference.

For those apposed...... Dyna Superglide is an FLH frame, engine and trans, with an XL fork.

You'll probably have better looks with an XL 21" front wheel, vs the 19", IMHO.

I must be reading this wrong. Are you saying Dyna's and Touring are the same frame with different forks? TOTALLY different frames on those two models.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I must be reading this wrong. Are you saying Dyna's and Touring are the same frame with different forks? TOTALLY different frames on those two models.
No....I'm saying that an XL on a Softail frame is just as realistic as the 1970+ SG models, which were originally an FL 4-speed frame.

The original Super Glide was a 4-speed FL frame with a XL fork.

The FXR was a rubber mounted big twin, with an XL fork.

XL forks on a Big Twin frame (Softail included) is completely do-able. The trees are 2* raked less, but that's just gonna make it corner better.

Plus.....Xl forks offer dual disc brake, as where softails don't.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
Was`t there a front end dive issue under "harder" breaking with the Super Glide/Sportster front end?
When it was on the heavier Super Glide.
Maybe that has been addressed by the MoCo.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Just wondered if there are any major issues?
Major: Steering rake to trail.
Minor: Might be a quick steer or quick flop over, low speed wobble, and or top end speeds snapping the hands off the bars.

Major: That's; put both triple lowers on the table next to each other, look down, draw a horizontal line across the center of the fork holes, then a horizontal across the center of the steering stem. Choose fork lines across both triples. Now look at the steering stem and note if they line up Horizontal To Horizontal at both lines? Both match.
Minor: Running out of beer swapping front ends.

Major: Horizontal meets the road. Takes a set of large to move the bars and wait for it to happen and be the engineer with the swap and you think you have it all better with the one off horizontal...
Minor: If you have WOT is sewn behind zipper #2... Go for it.

Major: Fork bangs the tank... as previously stated.
Minor: Set the fork off the tank with a wad of paper towels. Note who needs to be addressed at the gap made.

Major: Headache.
Minor: Here's how to look at it. Patch set close to the frame, think shopping cart speed at that hinge. Farther away from the frame, drag racing stance and no wobbles top end wise. Patches sets the meat and two sides.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Will an 08 sp0rtster tubes... work on a 98 dyna
Ring-ring, factory authorized dealer, how can I help me? Yes, my 08 is leaking a fork seal, you have the price and part number so when I call back you don't have to look up now, a dyna fork seal if you will. Got the part number? Don't need the price. While you're at it, I got a bent 08 tube and want to use the dyna leg. Both of those numbers match like the fork seals? Dude, I know what you're doing, just JP the parts on line, forks by frank's, FForksS.

·
Just Ride
3,886 Posts
Another book.

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
730 Posts
Watch out wildman, I'm 7 hours in on ya give or take... tough crowd. Even bod got it right out of the gate. Days have no clue who showed up.
Watch out wildman, I'm 7 hours in on ya give or take... tough crowd. Even bod got it right out of the gate. Days have no clue who showed up.
What meds do you take o_O

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,336 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts