Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I'm looking for some help. My sporty has a fuel leak. It looks like it's coming from the fuel valve. Is there a rubber gasket or seal of some kind that could be gone, or should I be looking at replacing the entire valve? If so, where should I get the parts? The bike was laid up for about 4 years, so I'm thinking dry rot might be the issue here. Everthing else is done (ie: carb cleaned, new tires, pre-season service, etc.) so it's killing me not to be able to ride! lol

Thanks.
Keith

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
I'll second the Pingel petcock if you go with the replacement route. So much easier to use, especially if you do any riding with gloves on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I just had another look at the bike a few minutes ago, and determined where the leak is originating from. There's a small hole behind the gas line (at the bottom of the petcock), which is part of the mold of the petcock - that's where the fuel is dripping (see picture). It almost looks like it might be a vent hole or something. Could this indicate a ruptured diaphram?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but if I was to upgrade to a new Pingle petcock with a higher flow rate, wouldn't that mean the bike will harder on gas? What is the benifit of a higher flow rate? Sorry to be so ignorant on this topic. lol.

Thanks.
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

I just ordered an OEM replacement vacuum fuel valve from the dealer. I was looking at the ones on J&P Cycle (which were much cheaper), but I wasn't comfortable plugging the vacuum line to the petcock, as instructed by the manufacturer. Maybe it's not an issue, but I didn't want to run into any other problems with this right now. The sooner I can get on the road, the better! lol

As for the installation of the new fuel valve, is this something I should get the dealer to do, or is it an easy install? Is there any kind of sealant that has to be used, or is it a dry fit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help!

I should have the fuel valve tomorrow so I'll give it a shot tomorrow night.

keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts