Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got 08 1200 sportster custom did not run for couple years took tank off and fuel assembly could see ethanol in gas melted rubber around fuel pump cleaned everything and put back together only runs with starting fluid Any thoughts? Harley says gotta buy the whole assembly for $250 i think thats nuts and cant possibly be the solution The thing is not made in china

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is breather tube in tank clear? Needs to breathe so fuel will flow out. Is pump working? Is fuel connector/hose seated properly? This may sound dumb but did you put fuel in tank? Did you let the system pressure build up before starting? Did you plug the electrics back in after reinstalling the tank?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'd bet the pump is damaged beyond repair, and yes, you'll need a new pump assy. Sitting for a couple of years with old fuel, which by your own statement has softened rubber, will also screw the electric pump!

·
Retired citizen
24,157 Posts
How about a plugged fuel filter ?
Does the pump prime for 3 seconds when the ignition is turned on ?

·
Registered
685 Posts
one of the reasons i got the carburated model instead of the injected ones . i can rebuild the carb. pretty easy and a lot cheaper than fixing the pump and injection system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts