Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So for those of you who have been here a long time you'll remember I have an 05 Sportster Roadster.

Due to life in general I haven't been on here in many years, and my riding time has dwindled somewhat as well.

As a result my beloved Sportster needs some love. Here's what we are working on.

1. Leaking fork seals
2. Bad neck bearings
4. Lots of UGLY raw aluminum in desperate need of polishing
5. Cartridge front fork inserts
6. Carb is in need of some love, she spits and sputters on idle alot.
7. I'm sure more as I go on!

Figured it might be fun to start a post so people can follow along and watch me struggle to remember where all the parts go!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where I'm at so far.

Front end is more or less totally disassembled. I'll take much better pics tomorrow. Stay tuned. Happy new year!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Looks like a energetic project.. One of my biggest hobbies was bringing new life to old dirt-bikes. I never did any real restoration, just made them ridable and look the part. Now I'm 62, closing in on my 2nd retirement as a life-long mechanic (aviation). Bending wrenches has lost much of its shinny chrome over the years. Although it drives me nuts, when someone else is wrenching on my bikes...cars n' trucks, who cares!
I for one will be happy to fallow this thread!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More progress. Lots of polishing, cleaning, and more polishing. Waiting on a bunch of parts to put things back together.

Wound up ordering some really nice aftermarket triple trees. Expensive but heavier duty for better handling and hopefully no cracking!

Attachments

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,243 Posts
An ambitious undertaking for sure XL. Nice work so far beats watching TV.

Reactions: Fuzzman71

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm glad you are giving it some love. it's always good to see one come back to good health and good looks. :)
Totally agree. Starting to see some progress finally! Who doesn't wash their motorcycle wheels in the bathtub! LOL

Attachments

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,243 Posts
Love it.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What triples did you end up buying?

Not cheap but they add clamping area and clamping force so they will hopefully withstand my future abuse.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have their monotube kit in mine and love it.
I've heard lots of good things. Hopefully it all pans out. I just couldn't bring myself to spend 800 on the online or screaming eagle kits that had adjustable rebound/damping.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts