Harley Davidson Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
On the road again! Test and tuning underway here in NC. Everything is good so far but the front end seems clunky on braking. It may just be new noises from the progressive cartridge kits or I'm wondering if something may not be installed quite right. I brought my motorcycle jack so ill get it in the air and inspect it all.
Did you discover what made it feel "clunky"?

Reactions: RJ64

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Did you discover what made it feel "clunky"?
I believe so. I scuffed up the front rotors a bit because they were pretty glazed over and probably overheated a few times. Figured I'd try it and see if it helped. I think it was the brake pads bedding in because it is not perfect yet but much smoother. Only happens under braking too.

I may replace the rotors and pads anyway but that's an easy few hrs job, so I figure I may as well ride it and see what happens. Its not a safety issue by any means the bike stops great.

I finally got a chance to really push the bike hard in turns. All I can say is WOW! Day to day riding the handling isn't a ton different but mid bumpy turns that cartridge kit proves its worth.

Attachments

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Haven't made much progress and I have no new pictures. Unfortunately I herniated two discs in my back so I haven't been able to do much on the bike. I did run a nice phone mount with charger to the handle bars, as well as removed some old underglow lights I had on the bike. I will snap some photos of the phone mount for those interested.

·
V-Twin Junkie
647 Posts
Haven't made much progress and I have no new pictures. Unfortunately I herniated two discs in my back so I haven't been able to do much on the bike. I did run a nice phone mount with charger to the handle bars, as well as removed some old underglow lights I had on the bike. I will snap some photos of the phone mount for those interested.
Heal up. man. Take it easy.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I 100% understand. I competed in powerlifting for five years.
Just a little update.

Last night was by far the most painful experience of my life. 10/10 pain i almost dialed 911 and got an ambulance.

I finally got in with a better doctor today and they saw the following in the MRI.

Two budged discs which in itself isn't THAT big a deal. The problem is a chunk of disc fell off and is pressed up against my spinal cord nerves causing immense pain. Good news is with a series of shots and some time it should likey heal itself. If I need surgery that can fix it too and isn't terribly invasive/life altering.

Simply put, bike project is on hold for a bit!!!

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
Get well soon! I have a similar back injury from an incident while on active duty so I can relate to your pain.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Get well soon! I have a similar back injury from an incident while on active duty so I can relate to your pain.
Thanks man. I'll tell ya, it's been an eye opening experience for me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Take care of your frame first! The bike wont mind taking a little longer break. Heal up so you don't go re tweaking it before its done cookin'!
I knocked loose two lower disks, taking a tumble off of a loading screen (Asphalt Plant) when i was 14. That shit hurts! I ended up wearing one of those girdle things that kept me from bending...I didn't fallow Docs orders! That girdle and i had an argument after just a day or three.. I got very lucky and my back popped back into alignment... Well, i was only 14 and still growing. If that happened today, it would prolly kill me! Or make me wish it had.
Medicine has come a long, long way since then! Now days i do a much better job of fallowing the Doc's orders! (Hell, i can see again!) 20 or 30 years ago, it would have left me blind in my dominant eye! Last weekend i finally got to go shooting again. After a 3 year hiatus. Being a competition shooter since i was a teen. I love modern medicine now!
Take care of that back!
Prayers up, for a speedy and full recovery.... every little bit helps!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts