Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
my wife has a 2013 and I have 2014 sporty. We put extenders on the mirrors where they hook onto the handle bars. Now we can look over our shoulders and that is a big help. About a week ago, I bought a 2004 xl883c sporty, and the mirror arms are longer than the new ones and require no extensions.
Go for what feels good for you. I like the original mirrors o.k. as they are large enough to see the traffic.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
sold a 89 to a friend- couldnt see over his shoulder they were too short and the bars too narrow-
found a set on fleabay for 40 bucks all metal with long stems-he loves them

·
Earth-bound Misfit
626 Posts
Didn't get new ones...I flipped 'em. It lets me see behind vs. look at my elbows...plus its a very "sportster-cool" mod...and its free!

I tried a couple of aftermarket mirrors, but couldn't find ones I liked...too small or weird shapes or skulls or crap like that.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Didn't get new ones...I flipped 'em. It lets me see behind vs. look at my elbows...plus its a very "sportster-cool" mod...and its free!

I tried a couple of aftermarket mirrors, but couldn't find ones I liked...too small or weird shapes or skulls or crap like that.
I tried this on my roadster and as good as the visibility was on that model Sportster they just don't look right.

My point is to the OP give it a shot, nothing to loose but a few minutes and I feel like customs and the nightster/iron/48 sporties look good with em flipped.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Cool, but that won't work on all sportsters due to turn signal location. I got a set of mirror extenders and made them fit on my 1200C. Moves the mirrors up an inch and out 2 inches. Perfect. I can see behind me now.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Cool, but that won't work on all sportsters due to turn signal location. I got a set of mirror extenders and made them fit on my 1200C. Moves the mirrors up an inch and out 2 inches. Perfect. I can see behind me now.
Even if your turn signals are on the bars it will work so long as it is an 04 or newer I believe..

Now, you need the peanut tank as well or else the mirrors will hit the tank in most cases.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even if your turn signals are on the bars it will work so long as it is an 04 or newer I believe..

Now, you need the peanut tank as well or else the mirrors will hit the tank in most cases.
The turn signals are in the way on my 2011 1200C. That's why the HD catalog shows them as not fitting a sporty (the extensions, that is) as the acorn nut won't fit due to lack of clearance before contacting the signal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The turn signals are in the way on my 2011 1200C. That's why the HD catalog shows them as not fitting a sporty (the extensions, that is) as the acorn nut won't fit due to lack of clearance before contacting the signal.
I have the 2012 1200C and put the extensions are and it was a perfect match.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 2012 1200C and put the extensions are and it was a perfect match.
These will fit - Mirror Extension Kit-91907-87 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

I installed the above extenders yesterday and they were, in fact, a perfect fit.

These will not fit - Chrome Mirror Extension Kit-56000039 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

I thought I had managed to install the later chrome extension kit, but realized the left extension was not mating with the brake which resulting in not being able adequately secure the mirror to keep it from moving at highway speeds.

I assume you installed the first kit I linked to above as the second kit will not fit. And, perfect you can confirm that the turn signals as mounted on the handlebars won't allow us to flip our mirrors without relocating the turn signals?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts