Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Sportster. Is it possible to remove mufflers without removing the header pipes? Loosened the clamps, but can't slip the muffler off the pipe and interconnect.
Thanks.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Yes, they should come off without removing the headers. May take a little bit of effort, they can be stubborn sometimes. Especially if they've been on the bike for a while.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
The Muffler part of the exhaust is bolted to the bike. Once you remove the bolts and the clamps they will slip off. A little effort will be needed to slide them off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...am aware of all the bolts....not sure if able to wiggle a little to get it off the header and interconnect. Will try. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depends on if your taking off the muffler or if you have baffles. Baffles are usually much easier and if it's EFI you can looses some power if you're not carefull

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep. Dang near impossible until you put a few drops of penetrating oil on. Of course, make sure the oil is completely cleaned off before you start the bike again, or you'll have permanent spots on the pipes to mark the occasion.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Yep. Dang near impossible until you put a few drops of penetrating oil on. Of course, make sure the oil is completely cleaned off before you start the bike again, or you'll have permanent spots on the pipes to mark the occasion.
Hmm.. Never had this happen, what kind of penetrating oil do you use?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shop manual says to replace the "Torca" clamps...not meant to be re-used. True? Interconnect gaskets too? I am just doing a little cleaning of the pipes...not changing anything (Screamin' Eagles)

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Shop manual says to replace the "Torca" clamps...not meant to be re-used. True? Interconnect gaskets too? I am just doing a little cleaning of the pipes...not changing anything (Screamin' Eagles)
I went from stock to drag pipes, to V&H straightshots to Rush without changing the clamps, never had a problem. I changed the seals if they were buggered up, if they were'nt i left them alone.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
As with all factory recommendations, on replacement, use your judgment. Clamps can and do cause problems, but often can be reused. The seals also can and do cause problems, but if not buggered usually are reusable. I suggest getting two of each, to have on hand if needed. Cheap insurance!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I didn't need any oil whatsoever when taking the slip ons off. Are you absolutely positive that you have removed any and all bolts that would hold on the pipes? Take the clamps and make sure they are moved away from the clamp point where they have been sitting. If you have an old school oil filter remover with the rubber strap, that will work wonders as well. Otherwise, a few rubber bands will help give you a stronger grip to twist them off. As far as replacing the clamps, I've reused clamps with no problems whatsoever. It's a metal band and a screw, so long as it holds; there is no reason to replace. Gaskets and seals are another thing but if they are in good condition, why not reuse?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmm.. Never had this happen, what kind of penetrating oil do you use?
Generally I use Liquid Wrench, but more to the point, I've never personally experienced damage to the chrome after using it, because nearly everybody warned me that once the pipes heat up, any sort of leftover oil will leave permanent splotches. So, naturally, I never experimented to find out if it was true or not. Could be a biker "urban legend", I suppose. I'm still not going to experiment to see the results, though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the pipes off OK. Wanted to remove the baffles (and put them back after cleaning all the residue). No real way to grab them to pull them out.
Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes, as others have mentioned there are two bracket support bolts and a fitting that holds the mufflers to the exhaust pipe. Remove the bracket bolts and loosen the fitting holding the mufflers to the exhaust pipe and with some pulling/twisting and rocking (taking care not to damage the exhaust pipes and fittings to the cylinders) they will come off.

I had 100 miles on my Sportster when I removed the stock mufflers to put on a pair of V&H Straight Shots. I'm pretty sure the earlier on in the life of the bike the easier they are too remove.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts