Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I started riding again on my sporty, but to comply with the local noise regs I put on the OEM pipes, but kept the filter since I like it's look. I put on 100+ miles already and I see that the plugs are light brown so I am guessing my jetting is good. I also noticed that my bike makes some engine area noises. The whole motor sounds like an older Singer sewing machine and sometimes when in gear and taking off I hear as if two pieces of small wood dowels were hitting eachother. clack clack and clack. I dont know that is causing that. I check the primary chain and it's within specs. I am yet to check the primary oil, but last year is was fine and no leaks were present. Am I hearing these noises because my new pipes are just too quiet. Is it something I need to worry about?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Local noise regs?:blahblah::spank:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bunch of Harley hating neighbours got together with picks and shovels and fire and came down to beat me. I rode all last year with straight pipes and no issues. Now this year they want to crucify me for pipes. Yes I live in a condo complex and noise gets around, but people are just *******s. They called the cops and they presented me with warning for IL Law Sec 5/12.602. Well some neighbours. I got two little kids in the house so I dont want to cause havoc amongst people until one day.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
All the more reason I live on 20 acres.

Can't deal with yuppie neighbors!!! I can fire up my bike at midnight and no one will give a damn!!!

So I guess my point is.... Move!! :rollin

Sewing machine noise means the engine is running just fine.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XL my wish would be to move down to the boonies and live on 20 acres too, but for now it will be Chicago and neighbouring towns. One day my man one day!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
XL my wish would be to move down to the boonies and live on 20 acres too, but for now it will be Chicago and neighbouring towns. One day my man one day!
You can take a mam out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of a man!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
Sportster engines are a mechanical symphony of noises. They have been there all along, just drowned out by your pipes.

Shame about the neighbors. You could look into getting a set of Screaming Beagle Street Performance slip-ons for your bike.

Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Slip-On Mufflers- Sportster Shorty Dual-80503-07 | Mufflers & Pipes | Harley-Davidson Store

They have a better sound to them, although not loud at speed. Best of all, they are street legal and carry the EPA stamp, so your neighbors can't complain. (Although, they probably will. Then you can point to the EPA stamp and smile.)

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I knew what the problem was when I saw your location. Don't let them see you smile when you ride or they'll get you for breaking the "Fun" ordinance. To think how close I came to living in IL at one point in my life still scares me.

I think about it every time I go out on my bike with the loud pipes and a Glock 23 on my side :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts