·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Sportster 883 with 80000 plus miles:

Getting the check engine and battery warning light
Check code and getting > P0562 Battery Voltage Low
This issue is intermittent:
If i reset the code I can ride a couple days approx 100-150 miles before it comes back:

Checked all connections and found no problems
Checking the charging system I was getting 13.2 volts at the battery

I thought maybe regulater going bad

Changed regulater

Rode 2 more days to work and then check engine and battery warning light back on code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Not sure how old battery was so replaced

Rode 2 more days to work and then check engine and battery warning light back on with code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Rechecked everthing once more found nothing
Ordered new stator and installed

no issues for 6 days this morning
check engine and battery warning light back on with code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Need help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Code P0562 Battery Voltage Low issue

If i reset the code I can ride a couple days approx 100-150 miles before it comes back:

Changed regulater

Rode 2 more days to work and then check engine and battery warning light back on code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Rode 2 more days to work and then check engine and battery warning light back on with code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

check engine and battery warning light back on with code P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Any help

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Load test the battery. You can get a bad new battery. Also check ground at engine.

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Double post.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
The first thing that I would do would be to check the cables. A weak ground connection can cause this sort of problem. Better than just checking them, remove the cables, clean the connections, then reinstall them.

Pete

Changed regulater

Need help

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Check the ground connection at the engine. That's the biggest place for troubles. If you installed a new battery, without following the instructions printed on the battery box and in the Shop manual, then there is a very good chance the connection at the engine is bad.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Changed regulater

Any help
Don't want to criticize you too much, but why in hell did you buy all those pieces, without first determining what was wrong?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what sensor or item causes the Check Engine light and battery light to come on? Have checked and rechecked all connections and grounds. Getting 14.2 volts at battery when I checked this afternoon.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Remove all the fuses and relays from the fuse block. Clean all contacts and fuse sockets and blow out with compressed air. Coat all fuse and relay terminals with dialectric grease and replace.
The reason is because water can infiltrate the main harness and get into the back of the fuse block. The fuse and relay terminals corrode and the main relay can stay active even with the ignition switch off. When the main relay is active the throttle body IAC stays energized and draws the battery down.
Sometimes the IAC can be heard buzzing after the ignition is turned off, this isn't normal and is caused by the main relay as mentioned.
Also the negative battery cable has to be installed per the procedure as mentioned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
AFter checking fuses and relays and cleaing fuze box I installed reinstalled all using the dielotic grease:
I rode to and from work for 3 days without any issues.

This am on way to work > the check engine and battery light came back on .....
I continued riding and after approx 7 mile both lights went off.
when i arrived at work I checked and found the P0562 code ....

Any thoughts?? This is driving me nuts....

·
Registered
6 Posts
SKIMAN, im having the same exact issue.
2008 xl1200c, 11k miles.

im gonna try all the same steps that have been suggested in the earlier posts, and see what happens.

Ill get to it tomorrow, and report back.

Since its intermittent, im guessing we have either a loose connection somewhere, or maybe something that after it gets heated up fails.
The last stator i had that went bad, once it failed, it was toast. NOT intermittent at all.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
SKIMAN can you hear any sound coming from the throttle body area after you turn the ignition off ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bike is a 2008, though only 11k miles, it clearly didn't get ridden a lot ( at least not by my standards ) but was very nicely taken care of. So the intermittent battery /engine light problem was a good place to start with getting used to where things are at on this bike.

Tonight I cranked maybe a quarter turn on the battery ground to engine block nut.

And I took every fuse out and wire brushed the nastiness of 7 years of grime off of the contacts and put dielectric grease on them.

I checked what other wiring is visible there and nothing seems splayed or frayed. I put the battery back in tightened it all down and took it out for a short ride.

So far no lights. It wasn't a proper long ride so I will reserved final judgement till I've been out a couple of hours.

Wish me luck.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
SCHMIDTYS yes I hear sound from the throttle body area.
That indicates the main relay is staying energized after the ignition is off. That will drain the battery. Try swapping the relays around in the fuse block or replace the relay with a new one.
Clean the fuse block contacts again, especially the ones that the relay plugs in to.
There's not supposed to be any sounds after the ignition is off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure I got it correct : with key turned on and switch set to run and then switch set to off.... hear sound. Did I check this correctly??

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Turn the ignition switch/key off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts