Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMPORTANT READ ENTIRE THREAD AS THIS PROCEEDURE WAS FOUND OUT TO BE UNNECESSARY> I have read a lot online about an issue I was having with the rear disc brake shoes not inline after changing the rear wheel and reinstalling it. The brakes would squeal and bind. After removing them several times trying to see what was causing this I noticed several things. #1The rear shoes where over riding the disc by at least 3/8ths of an inch. #2 the inner brake shoe was not vertical in line with the rotor. What was happening was the inner brake shoe was riding up the caliper and due to the casting being rounded somewhat it would cause the shoe to cock against the rotor not allowing it to relax after the brake was applied. "See Photo" I did two things to make it so the brake shoe would sit flush and relax after brake application and today went out for a ride and No Problems at all. I filed the casting where it was rounded flat and flush. I also filed the inner brake shoe to be sure it would not bind with seemingly successful results. The shoe in the last picture is proper placement but before it would ride up and touch the Caliper. If you have this problem You might consider this information in a cure. PS I had to hacksaw the excess brake shoe off to make it even with the rotor as well. Turns out these shoes are NG here is why see pictures White cicrle is correct Green circle NG

Attachments

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Were these Moco pads? Did your original/ previous set do the same?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,t know had the guy I bought it off of take a quick run to see all the gears worked and did the pads just after that. The tops of the new shoes where breaking off the rear inner shoe. I did order a set of
Rear Sintered Brake Pads for it there on the way. The broken bits where getting bound up and making it squeal even without the brake on

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
Those pads in the pic don't look OEM to me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
After looking I believe your right These are formed or tapered at the top OEM 44209-87C and may just be my problem and issue Thanks. So then I would not recommend after market shoes sold on ebay for those who might want something for less
Sometimes it just pays to get OEM parts . :spank:

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
I've bought aftermarket pads from J&P that fit as good as OEM.
The pads you have might be for a different style Kelsey Hayes caliper.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
Even tho you made those fit I would ditch them and install the correct pads, IMO.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Even tho you made those fit I would ditch them and install the correct pads, IMO.
I guess you get to be one of our experts go to guys now!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ones I bought may be for FLT FLHT FLHS

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have these sintered shoes I purchased before finding this info out and they appear to have the upper taper necessary for the caliper form.Compatibility

HARLEY DAVIDSON

•1988-1999 XL XLH XLC XLS XLX
•1988-1999 FXST FXSTB FXSTC FXSTS FLST FLSTC FLSTF FLSTS FLSTN
•1988-1999 FXD FXDL FXDWG FXR FXRS FXRT FXRD FXLR
Rear Sintered Brake Pads Harley Davidson 1988 1999 | eBay

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
J&P ...
Try J&P's website and plug your bike info into the search box then click on "shop for this bike". Then on the next page search brake pads.
J&P is pretty sharp when it comes to parts fitting specific applications.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the ones I have coming are correct and they are made of soft materials like brass. This will cut down or eliminate rear brake squealing as opposed to the Kevlar shoes. Description Sintered Pads are made out from low melting point metals powder (copper and brass alloys) by pressing them at high temperatures.

Better fade resistance,a longest life.

Severe duty,good performance in extreme riding conditions such as mud,race and utility application.

High friction,pressure sensitivity and strong, predictable brake response.

Steadiness,no squeak.

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
Oh, didn't know you already ordered some !

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't feel comfortable with the fix I did although it seems to be working OK. I want to make sure I can stop the beast LOL. It was just all the reading I did online when searching for info about Sportster rear squealing breaks that made me think it was in the design of the system itself

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
If the new pads squeal too buy the squeal eliminator kit from the H-D dealer.
It's a decal with isolation material that applies to the back of the pad. It works !
For Kelsey Hayes brakes only.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone have this type of forward controls as I would like to know where I can purchase new bushings for the shifter pedal and Brake pedal

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,350 Posts
Does the brake pedal pad have H-D embossed on it ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts