Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Sportster S 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2022 Sportster S with very weak rear brakes. When I took the bike (Ex Demo with 750 miles) home I noticed the rear brakes were spongy and did not stop the bike well at all. I took it back to a local HD dealer who said there was nothing wrong with it. I am an experienced rider and the sportster is the lightest of my current crop of bikes!

If I try to stop the bike from 30mph on a dry level road with the rear brake only I have to apply far more force to the pedal than any of my other bikes for any retarding to happen. Even with the pedal fully pressed, the bike will take at least 35-40 yards to stop. You literally have to stand your weight on the very spongy pedal before any braking happens. Even on my Kawasaki the rear wheel will lock if I do this! I met a sharp bend on a steep downhill and the rear brakes were useless, leaving me to brake with only my engine and front brakes. If I had been a novice rider then I dread to think what will have happened.

The rear brake will not hold the bike on a hill without pressing the brake pedal as hard as possible. If I press the pedal as I would on my VN900 then the sportster just rolls backwards.

I called Harley Assist, who took it back to the local dealer.

The local dealer has contacted me this morning to let me know they have found nothing wrong with the brakes but will be replacing them anyway!!!

The bike will be with the dealer for another three weeks despite all the parts needed being in stock. That just doesn't seem right.

Has anyone else had issues with the sportster s brakes or am I right in smelling a rat???

I did not buy a Harley for this!

Your comments would be genuinely appreciated.

Keep safe guys,

Martin

· Registered
Sportster S 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks madmantrapper. That's what I was thinking, but it turns out the system is a self bleeding type which is only on this model. It looks like the local HD dealer hasn't seen enough failures yet, so maybe doesn't know how to handle them or doesn't believe there is a problem. Either way, three weeks does seem a bit long...

· Registered
5,567 Posts
Thanks madmantrapper. That's what I was thinking, but it turns out the system is a self bleeding type which is only on this model. It looks like the local HD dealer hasn't seen enough failures yet, so maybe doesn't know how to handle them or doesn't believe there is a problem. Either way, three weeks does seem a bit long...
"Self Bleeding"??? Effing aircraft brakes are not self bleeding! Some hyd reservoirs are, some! The brakes sure as eff are not. Well, let me resend that just a bit... I'm working on skidd roto wings now. The last aircraft brake systems i worked were on C-17 and Boeing 717. Those are not self bleeding, i can assure you.

I would not trust that idea in any way shape or from! Been a aircraft Mech since 1977 and still tickin away at it. Began with hydraulics.

Reactions: Convince Me

· Registered
Sportster S 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never known mechanics say there's nothing wrong with something then in the same breath say they're going to replace it. I'm sure brake calipers (which is what I was told would be replaced) don't take three weeks to replace - particularly when they are in stock.

I experienced something similar when I was managing a Dev team. Rule one - Never let them talk directly to customers or the sales team!!! One new module had not been properly regression tested before I arrived and was behaving in odd ways. I don't know if this is also true for mechanics and engineers, but knowing how something may fail is equally as important as understanding how it should work. My team simply didn't have the experience of dealing with the new module failure. The only thing I could do was 'Smoke & Mirrors' with the customers and keep stringing them along until my team had a fix.

My gut feeling is that the local HD is doing the same...

· Registered
116 Posts
Find a reputable, local Harley specialty repair shop for an honest diagnosis. Self bleeding brakes? What next will this Harley stealership tell you? Ask around for a good repair shop not associated with the Dealer. They depend on their customers satisfaction and word of mouth to stay in business unlike the deep pocketed Corporation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts