Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone .Just bought a 2001 883 hugger and this is my first post so I'm very green and need some advice.I would like to replace the rear tire with a wider one without breaking the bank.Can someone tell me what is the widest tire that will fit in a stock fender and swingarm?What are our options for a wider wheel.Is there another harley wheel that is wider and will fit a sportster ?I think the stocker is 3''.If possible I would like to go with a 200 mm tire which would require a minimum of 5" wheel width.Will a 5'' wheel fit inside a stock swingarm and fender.Will a 180 mm tire fit the stock fender and swingarm? I have done many mods to other bikes but this is my first Harley so any and all advice would be much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
Stock is a 130/90-16, you can go to a 140/90-16, but to go to a 180+ would need a new fender, swingarm, wheel.....

Metzler ME 880 140/90-16

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
5" rim would be a major event. You'd need a wide tire "Kit", including tire, rim, swingarm, fender, strut spacers, front sprocket spacer, paint for new rear fender, and a bunch of time and labor. For adding 2" of tire, and making the bike turn like a city bus, it's not worth the visual gains, IMHO.

Put the money towards a larger bike, that you'll eventually buy anyway.

Even if you did the labor yourself, you're looking at over $1000 (Well over including professional paint work on the new fender) for a "look".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, I misspoke. The stock tire is a 150/ 80. I am interested in changing it to a 150/70. I don't think I will have a problem, but I'm always curious when changing tire sizes.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
A 150/70 will work. It's the same width (150mm) just has a shorter sidewall (105mm vs 120mm).

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
150/80 to a 150/70 is (theoretically, as different brands can be up to 7% varied in actual measurements), about 15mm, or 9/16" shorter as Brian pointed out....

The slight tire decrease in height due to a lower tire aspect will result in a slightly shorter tire height.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
wide tires are overated anything to squeeze more money out of the working class man.Went from a 130 to a 140 on my dyna just bearly rubbed the belt,sanded the edge down and drove it everywhere till I sold it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
240/250 Wide Tire Kit..

Hi Guy's I just also Purchased a 240/250 Kit From Wild Bill Pro Customs, Yes there Is Some Mod that Would Need to Be Done. Some shops charge anywere from $45.00 to $100.00 a hr, for Labor. Check around and Do your reserch. You Can find Great Deals On 11 inch Fenders on E-Bay. I'm In Los angeles Ca. So I'm looking for a Good Builder, or a Good Harley Tech Guy... I Spoke to Chica, Master Chopper Builder in Hunington Beach.. He said Not a Prob to Install. But One thing that Worries Me. He Is Well Known and He Might Be a Lil Costly.. But then again you Want It Done right.. Remember Sporty's Were the Bike of the 60's and 70's they Were Preferd because they are Light, Fast, and Could Handle Well. Back In the Day The Big Hog Was Slugish, and Took awhile to Get Going. All Harley's are Beautiful, But if you Are Sportser Guy These Bikes Look Just Beautiful as the Big Boy's When Customize Right and Built Right..If Anybody Out there in a Cali Knows of a Good Bike Builder. Please Post...:thumb

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rim Exchange

Hi,
So my 97 1200 has the stock 16"+19" mags, and i found a set of chrome spoked rims stock from a 08 dyna streetbob.
The front looks to be exactly the same size rim 19x2.5" ...but can i replace my 16x3" rear rim with the 17x4.5" rim and buy a tire to accomodate the loss of fender space?
Also is the axel size going to be different? I think i have a 3/4" and the dyna might have a 1" not sure... any suggestions?
As it seems the wide tire kits and the 200mm rear tire require too much modification for me, but if i could have a 150 or a 160mm low profile tire on a larger rim (width and heigth) and upgrade to chrome spoked wheels, it would be worth it unless i had to change the swingarm and pulley/belt displacement.
My rear rim has atleast 1" of spacers on either side and i am under the impression that you have a certain amount of tolerance with the offset of the belt on the rear pulley.
Also fitment of the front and rear disc?

Im gonna get a good deal on the rims, but need to know if it is worth the time... i am up north and it finally got warm here, im dont want to have my bike in pieces for too long.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
1 Posts
fatter sporty tirec

I been thinking about doing the same thing. I replaced my tires last year and opted to keep bike stock. But I see alot of people puttign on 150's on the rear end. I think the best thing for you to do is to take some real good measurements and see what you can put on there.
But spending 1,500 to have a wide tire seems silly to me. Expecially if when you are done your bike will be worth less. I have a bone stock 82 Sportster, and am trying to keep her stock.
Some of the best advice I got was to learn how the bike handles as designed from the HD engineers, before I start changing everything.
So many peple go and change so much to make their bike took like a Mini-Me big twin, without utilizing their machine to its full potential. The sportster was designed as a performance bike, to compete with the British bikes that were coming in to the country in the early 50's and smoking HD. The beauty is you can do all you want, its a free country and its your machine. I try and do all my mods true to what the bike is... A sportster. I think it silly when a guy spends 12 grand to make it look like a mini FLH. It'd be cheaper to just save cash and get a big bike also and keep the sporty for what its designed for, ripping up the back roads.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Wide Tire

The Wider the Tire the less "Nimble" the bike will be at turn in,,,as in a longer transistion off the straight line contact patch to the max lean angle. The quick and responsive handling of the sporty is why I wanted it. Just something to consider before you Mod one of the most critical aspect's of HD R n D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts