Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
harp player
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 1200c sportster. The stock shocks dont cut it riding 2 up. Does anyone know in shocks from a larger bike would work to make it ride better. currently it bottoms out too much

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Put your preload on the stiffest setting. Mine rides best two up with the highest preload setting. Unless you are over GVWR that will fix it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
+1 on touring take off's. Scored a set for $75 on eBay and it's the best thing that ever happened to our Sportster.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Benson, You can bolt them straight on. As far mod, technically you may need to make some mods. Grab some washers to use for spacers. I had the same shocks on mine a few years ago and loved the ride; I only swapped because I wanted a slammed ride so I have 10.5 shocks now. I think I used 1/2" washers as spacers and I think I had 3 or 4 on the top and 1 or 2 on the bottom bolts. Take your top bolt off of one shock, take it to the hardware store and find the washers that will fit.

The other thing that I would suggest is buying air valves and a pump so you can adjust the air pressure. Those shocks in that listing that you linked to have plugs but without the air valves you won't be able to make adjustments. Here is what I used:

Valve: CDI CONTROL DEVICES Valve,Air Tank Filler - Pneumatic Modular FRL Accessories - 1X361|TV12 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Pump:
Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007 : Amazon.com: Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007: Automotive

I had a thread on here back in 2012 when I installed them and a few guys posted and gave some very helpful advice on this project. Give it a read:
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...al-discussions/51939-air-shocks-sporty-4.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Benson, with the help from 02sportytex I put air shocks on my sporty and love the ride. I don't know how to put the link on here from the thread (with pics) I made. The title of the thread is: Air shocks installed today - Pics . Take a look, it worked out very well. Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
02sportytex - Basfshmn
thanks for all of the data good food for thought.
Just got to find out how much to ship them over to the UK, or find some affordable ones over here.
Have a nice 1600 mile hike across Europe in May and think this might have to be done before then.
this forum is awesome :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you could grab a set of air shocks and shipped for around 125-150 USD; you'll be good to go.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping; the Road King, Ultra Classics, & Electra Glides have 13" shocks; the Street Glide and I think the Road Glide have 12" shocks.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message or post it on here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rollbar, whatever you do don't fill your shocks with a air compressor it will blow your seals. Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rollbar, whatever you do don't fill your shocks with a air compressor it will blow your seals. Rick
Thank you Rick. I didn't know that. I road 70 miles today and one stretch of road was real bad but these shocks were better than the 10.5" burly ones.

Question, would these or the bike ride better with at lease 1/2lb, 1lb of air then 0lbs they are now?

After that stretch of road I was thinking maybe a little would help but again, these are for a heavier bike.

Thanks again,
Jim

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Harley quit making the full height XL models after 2008. In 2009 all yo could buy was the Sportster Low. Suspension wise, it was a disaster. There is such little travel in the rear shocks that the bike rides very harshly. Riding two-up on one of these bikes is close to torture on anything but a very smooth road.

To improve the ride and handling of your bike, you need to try to add a shock with more travel to the rear end and you need a better quality shock absorber too. I would recommend a Progressive 444. It is an excellent performing shock that can make up for some of the disadvantages of your bikes suspension design. I would try to find a shock length that would give you more travel, preferably an inch, but even half an inch would be worthwhile.

The Pirelli RT66 is a very comfortable tire for Sportsters. It has a softer sidewall than the stock Harley tires and handles nicely too. It will soften your ride a little too.

One of the best options is to get a good seat for both you and your passenger. The Harley Sundowner is a very comfortable seat at a reasonable price. Mustang makes good seats but they end to be firmer than the Sundowner.

Finally, I would change out the stock front springs for single-rate Traxxion springs and Ricor or equivalent valves in the forks. You can add adjustable preload fork caps to fine tune the front end for riding solo or two-up.

I'm not a fan of air-adjustable touring shocks. Their only reason for existing was to let the rider adjust the preload without having to take off his hard-bags. They do not ride as good a a decent quality conventional shock absorber.

Pete

I have a 2009 1200c sportster. The stock shocks dont cut it riding 2 up. Does anyone know in shocks from a larger bike would work to make it ride better. currently it bottoms out too much

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you big time Pete. I had the 10.5" Bulry and someone said I had to get these air shocks for a better ride so I bought them off eBay but only spent 67 bucks w/shipping. So I'm not out a lot.
I'll look into the other and I definitely need a new seat.
Mine looks comfortable but after 25 miles, my butt hurts big time. Yesterday we went 70 miles w/a break in between and I almost called for a trailer cause I could ride anymore.
I was looking at the Mustang plain solo seat and now I will check out the Sundowner.
Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Rollbar, yes fill them up a bit. I weighed 250 when I had mine installed and rode with 15-20 psi and it was very smooth. Depending on your weight, you should play around with it and find the sweet spot.

You can either get the hose setup like you find on the touring bikes (one valve to connect to and it will air both shocks up together; or you can buy air valves and put one on each. I went with the latter because I had no where to cover the hose. Buy a good hand pump. You can either get the one from Harley for about $50 or go on Amazon and get a Fox Racing Shocks Air Pump for $30. I had the fox racing pump and it worked very well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts