Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
What kind of price you getting for that kit, and how wild do you want to go?
Most kits are pretty tame.

Personally, I would go for some Buell heads, 88 ci Axtell cylinders (versions avail for both solid mount and rubber mount sportys), Mikuni Flat slide carb of some sort (HSR42?), a cam from Woods, Andrews etc designed for where you want the powerband to be.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Do you think Buell ports flow enough for 88? Has this been done that you have numbers for - coz it sound like combo that would give great torque if thats what you after for street. Might be gagged at the top if you hunting power numbers.

Do also add an oil cooler with thermostat.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Just depends on what Wideopen's target hp is. XB/'04 1200R heads with Stage 3 headwork from Nallin Racing + 88" Axtel cylinders + SE .536/Zippers RS585 cams have yielded 120+ rwhp and 105+ lb/ft of torque running on pump gas.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/dynoroom.shtml

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Hrmm, a Sporty with V-Rod #'s... :eek: :bat :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen the kit on ebay for $1600 with free shipping I am sure I can find it cheaper. Coming from riding rice rockets and dirt bikes I would love to see some high numbers like with that 88 kit but whats that going to do to my reliability? Streetability? When I have a passanger and we go for a 300 to 400 mile day trip? I talked to one of the local bike builders and he felt that the edelbrock kit would'nt compramise any of those things.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Axtell cylinders are generally regarded as among the best you can get, if not the best. As far as the cams, the SE 536 cam works fine with stock pushrods, lifters, and rockers, too. .536 lift is tame compared to what I have been running for the last 14 years. Ive been running cams in the .600 region in both Evo and TC motors on the street since 92.

You could even go up to a SE 575 cam if youre looking for more top end power if the heads were set up for it, ie buy the XB/'04 1200R heads straight from Nallin Racing with the stage 3 port job already done. Cams from the likes of SE or Andrews generally dont have as aggressive opening/closing ramps on the lobes as say a Woods or a RedShift, so they would be gentler on the valve train.

For a lot of 2 up riding tho, I may be tempted to stay with the SE 536 cam.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partscamshafts.shtml

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
I have seen the kit on ebay for $1600 with free shipping I am sure I can find it cheaper.
New Stage 3 heads from Nallin Racing will eat up most of that $1600..... not sure what your budget is, but the setup Im talking about is closer to double that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just depends on what Wideopen's target hp is. XB/'04 1200R heads with Stage 3 headwork from Nallin Racing + 88" Axtel cylinders + SE .536/Zippers RS585 cams have yielded 120+ rwhp and 105+ lb/ft of torque running on pump gas.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/dynoroom.shtml
I have to concur, Nallin's head work looked like artwork when my heads came back, the service was fantastic and the power I'm making speaks volumes for the combo.:ride

·
Registered
93 Posts
New Stage 3 heads from Nallin Racing will eat up most of that $1600..... not sure what your budget is, but the setup Im talking about is closer to double that.
also need to include the fact that for the 88" conversion, there is block maching needed, and to really take advantage, new crank would be spiffy.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Right, the cases will need to be bored to accept these cylinders (~$200), but you should balance the the flywheels anyway when you install the new pistons... so the cases would have to be split anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
NHRS(was Nallin) and Revolution Performance with the Nallin brothers running things now - both have excellent kits and both are known for reliable performance - when before Nallin was at Millinium - now Revolutionary Perf. - they had cylinder truing problems, however, when Brian Nallin took over those problems ended for good! Either company knows their stuff backwards and forwards and definitely can keep it street longevity friendly. Now if you where just racing I could name several other folks as well who do some wild hi powered motors, however, I wouldn't bet the farm on their longevity though they do say they will last - lol:cool: - I'm looking forward to Brian N. doing a 809cc Blast motor - the power even at street level should be off the hook! He did a 650cc for Terry Parsely of Valejo HD/Buell for the single 650cc LSR records - over 80 hp and over 60ft-lbs of torque hitting 135 mph - thats thumping; and currently I'm running a NHRS 515cc kit complete with stage two heads - basically set up simular to his first LSR motor he did for his kid - very nice indeed and will smoke any stock 1200( - no insults intended -) as I've proven on countless trips to Alices - lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Edelbrock sportster heads suck performance-wise because the intake ports are practically flat. You won't get any better performance out of them than a stage I '04-up 1200 sportster (high-flow intake, 2-1 exhaust, ignition). The XB/1200R heads outflow any of the factory HD heads and the edelbrock heads. They can be ported/polished and fitted with oversized valves to make insane power on big builds. Dan at NRHS is a good friend of mine and a much better mechanic. Tell him your power goals and he'll give you a price ;).

·
Performance Monger
283 Posts
I'm just getting my 89" S&S on the run for a little drag racing. It is all S&S internals, carb and heads. The cams are N9s. It has the pop up pistons to match the heads. The heads were ported at Eyecandy. So far so good! It has romped a stage one V-rod or anything else under 110" that I have tried it against on the strip. It used to run mid 12s @ 106mph as a 1200. I won't know till the middle of Aug. what it does as a 1460. I would like to try the Axtel set up, I've heard it is pretty good. Check out eyecandycustoms.ca for some pics. The videos are old ones as a 1200. Don't bother trying to keep the front wheel down, just keep shifting. Sam.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
I'm just getting my 89" S&S on the run for a little drag racing. It is all S&S internals, carb and heads. The cams are N9s. It has the pop up pistons to match the heads. The heads were ported at Eyecandy. So far so good! It has romped a stage one V-rod or anything else under 110" that I have tried it against on the strip. It used to run mid 12s @ 106mph as a 1200. I won't know till the middle of Aug. what it does as a 1460. I would like to try the Axtel set up, I've heard it is pretty good. Check out eyecandycustoms.ca for some pics. The videos are old ones as a 1200. Don't bother trying to keep the front wheel down, just keep shifting. Sam.
I'd like to hear how your bike does with your new upgrades. I often toy with the idea of making a sleeper Sporty. :nod

·
Performance Monger
283 Posts
I'd like to hear how your bike does with your new upgrades. I often toy with the idea of making a sleeper Sporty. :nod
There is no substitute for cubic inches! Check out the pics in the Sportster section. It is a sleeper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts