Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 600 km. [about 400 mi. for those fortunate enough not to have the metic system] my new electra blew up the right side spot light, looked like 120 volts was hammered into it . Mechanic had to replace lens cause it was so blackened by the "explosion" . then at 900 km. [600 mi.] the left side burned out...not in the spectacular fashion that the right side did but toast non the less. Any more issues and my new ride may be tied up while they check for over-voltage, spikes . Hoping that it was just some bad lamps on the line. Has anyone else encountered aynthing like this ?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Could be dead wrong, but my first thought is if those bulbs are hi intensity they can't have any finger prints (oil residue) on em.. I'm wondering if someone forgot to wear their gloves or some other contamination during assembly. Might be as simple as that.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Could be dead wrong, but my first thought is if those bulbs are hi intensity they can't have any finger prints (oil residue) on em.. I'm wondering if someone forgot to wear their gloves or some other contamination during assembly. Might be as simple as that.
Im with gold on that, if its halogen or better, the oil from a finger print can create a hot spot on the bulb and weaken it to the point of exploding like yours did. If it was over voltage, it should just burn the element out quick.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes good points, I am hoping it was an assembly line issue, we have a good dealership here and they covered me no question, they had never encountered anything like it before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts