Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local Harley dealership and was browsing at the bikes. Then picked up the 2009 spec book. I really like the Springer bike. But when I asked the saleman why they did not have any on the showroom floor - he said they don't sell many. Usually they have to order them.

Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
My understanding is that Springers have a unique group of folks who like to ride them and no-one else. Could I be all wet? Absolutely.
I like the look.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The springer you looked at was probably a Cross-Bones. I'm not sure they even offer the Heritage Springer anymore.......I could be wrong.

Springer front forks handle a little differently then hydraulic forks, like Dean said. They track a little more in ruts on the road, aren't as smooth over bumps and are heavier when compared to hydraulic forks. They're old technology, plain and simple. However, some people still like them, like myself, and they give a bike a different look.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are really cool bikes. I just thought it was interesting when the guy said they don't sell many of them. Thanks guys.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Springers aren't for everyone. I think people hear stories about them and think they suck. They don't. It's like Brandy....it's an aquired taste. If I had a totally new bike, I wouldn't know how to act.....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
New whats that???
People like you and me, Dean, have new spark plugs, tires and maybe....MAYBE....new bling. I try to buy my bling used, when if at all possible.............:thumb

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I've not ridden a Cross Bones, but I've ridden and worked on several Springers. 90% of the time they ride like a normal Harley, they are just a bit more labour intensive on servicing. I'm looking for a good used Heritage Springer now at the right price.

BIK88CHK I've no idea how tall you are, but Softails have a low centre of gravity and a low seat, making them ideal for shoerter riders and easier to move about . I'm 6'4" 210# and I'm comfortable on one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think for 2009 HD's line includes 2 springers - the Cross Bones and the CVO Softail Springer. I believe the Heritage Springer is not part of the 2009 lineup. I used to ride a Bad Boy :thumb and thought it had a lot of style with the blacked out Springer front end. :USA:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've not ridden a Cross Bones, but I've ridden and worked on several Springers. 90% of the time they ride like a normal Harley, they are just a bit more labour intensive on servicing. I'm looking for a good used Heritage Springer now at the right price.

BIK88CHK I've no idea how tall you are, but Softails have a low centre of gravity and a low seat, making them ideal for shoerter riders and easier to move about . I'm 6'4" 210# and I'm comfortable on one.

I am 5'7" tall and 125 pounds - I ride a Sportster 1200XL now with a high center of gravity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm very interested in a springer. it's on 01 with the carb. just like i want and i saw ya'lls thread. i've never rode one so i also had wondered about the "old technology" and if i would maybe be happier with a deuce and forks. i've talked to a couple people with springers that love them and say the new stabilizer i believe it is the front end comes equipped with makes it a smooth ride and no handling issues. your thoughts?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I dont know about that. Couple months into the 2009's my dealer had 2 Crossbones out on deck. I liked em. Only thing youll notice is the forks are heavy when you turn em standing still.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I lived in Rapid City, I ran a springer. It was great on the smooth roads. I love the way they look on a long hardtail frame.
Then I moved to northeast Ohio where they test drove the moon buggy on the interstates... I'd hit a hole and my ass would leave the seat 3". Can't remember how many times I bit my tongue on landing. I have a friend who said he wouldn't mind that inconvenience so we swapped our front ends. He got my springer and I got his tubes.

We were both happy after that...

·
Just Wastin Time
274 Posts
The only thing ive heard is that springers require more maintence but i personaly have never riden on and this info could be false. They do have a distinctive look to them though

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been riding my '88 FXSTS since I bought her new in '88...about 70k on her now. I LOVE my springer...nice action, handles well and rides as nice or better than any hydraulic front end I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Saw a bike at a rally this summer...springer front end but Deluxe styling.(seats,footboards,etc.) swapped front end,or ? Sure looked purty! I love that old school look!!!:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts