Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Don't have one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Sorry.

Pro's:
  1. It's a .45
    Springfield is a respected name
    Reliable
    Can add a light and/or laser if that is your cup of tea
    Semi-light weight for ease of carry
  1. Your paying steel gun prices for a polymer framed gun
    If you get the compact model you will want the extended mag for grip
There's probably more for each. I just can't think clearly right now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Gun shoots like a dream, amazingly little recoil for such a small barrel. One of the biggest pro's is it's a .45 that fits in the palm of your hand and I guess the biggest pro would also be the biggest con since in order for it to be compact you only have 6 shots. You could get the extended mag but honestly that cuts down on the concealability.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I love Springfield, and will own any Springfield product.......Except the XD pistols.

I don't like the grip angle. I don't like the grip design. They recoil too sharp and tend to jump in your hand, whereas most .45's are more pushy than sharp. I just don't like them at all.

Everyone has what they like, and I own Glocks and H&K's, as far as polymer pistols go, a Kimber 1911, and 3 S&W revolvers. I am just not a fan of the SA XD pistols. I've shot a bunch of them, have friends with them, blah blah blah. Just something about them doesn't cut it for me. I've tried to like them, but the way they recoil is not normal for a .45 and the grip is too straight up and down for my wrists.

As far as reliability I can't give any info, as I have not used one long enough to give an opinion on that. But I hear great things.

But like I said.....Everyone has what they like, and if you like it, and it's comfortable to you, go for it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have the XD .45 Tactical.

Pro:
The recoil on it is not bad but it does have a 5" barrel. 13 + 1 ammunition capacity. Extreamly reliable.

Con:
It will work with all amunition except my hollow point reloads (Hornady XTP 180g). I am not 100% positive but I think it has something to do with the design of the hollow point cause it feeds all other hollow points just fine.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
The recoil is not bad, it's just too snappy for a .45. Almost like Springfield put too light of a spring in it. And I have shot all models and calibers, except for the new XDs.

Once again, different strokes for different folks.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Got one last month for $485.00. Nice little gun, shoots very well and very compact. Barely any kick to it so aiming is a breeze. It came in a nice box with 2 clips, lock, cleaning rod and a plastic holster.
I like it for an every day conseal because it's small, but I like my Para Ordinance P12/45 better. Slightly bigger and holds 13 .45 rounds and I can shoot with ease, beer cans at 50' and 5 gallon buckets at 70 yards. I gave the XDS to my ol' lady for her birthday and she loves it. She shoots dead on with it. I'm gonna get her warmed up on it before we go to a tactical arms class next month. We each got 3 free classes because she did a logo for the company that does the classes. I'll feel better with her carrying a gun after she takes these classes. We have CWP's, I have extensive training but always like to practice and learn new tricks and would rather she learns from pro's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the XD40 and XD45 Tactical, as BamaHDRocker stated they are a little snappy until you put in a 21lb main spring... then they are a gem to shoot, fast and accurate. I have not tired the XDS yet as it is prohibited where I live.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I'm trying to NOT buy one of these...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx for the info. It has the best feel in my hand of any small gun I've tried. I qualified for my CCL with a Diamondback DB9, but it's too small. I never really felt comfortable with it. The Ruger LC9 fit my hand pretty well, but it's got a long trigger pull.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the XD in .40 S&W. It is my favorite pistol, I could shoot it all day. I really like Springfield Armory pistols. I also have an LC9, and it's the one I carry most because it's very concealable, and it does have a very long trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The XDS is a really nice carry piece.

Nothing there not to like, I am a total 1911 ho and I think the whole XD, XDM, XDS line of pistols are great pistols.

We have an XDs at the range and have not been able to get it to choke yet, and we have tried. Even ran a bunch of 200 grain SWC through the pistol when it was dirty as hell and hot, it still did not choke.

If an auto loading 45 cal pistol will digest them 200 grain flying ashtrays it will run just about anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my CCW license in the mail today. Now I gotta get the Springfield XDS out of layaway. Was hoping to get it paid off before the license arrived, but the license arrived about a month earlier than estimated. Guess the OSBI is catching up with the backlog.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
You're going to love it. Only one big problem... Guns are like tatoos and they are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

We're lucky here, no gun handling classes required yet. You can get the application off the net and you can take a course on line for free so all you pay is the permit fee, $65, or so I'm told. I've been carrying for 17 years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the XDS and really like it. Very accurate, a tad small on the grip but overall a great shoot. Also at the same time I purchased the XDS I got the 1911RO. Real sweet shoot. Had the crimson trace laser sight installed on it today. Can't wait to hit the range!

·
Registered
36,956 Posts
I want a range in my back yard like Hickock45 has, when I grow up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts