Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock head pipe, SE air cleaner and Rinehart 3.5 slip ons, on my 2010 EGC. Went to Harley dealer and asked them if i would need the down load or a fuel pack and they said i could but it really isnt necessary. They asked me how it was running and i said great, but just dont want to run too lean. I guess this is not considerd a true stage one due to still having the stock header. I pulled the plugs and they look fine. Just wondering if i should still just do the download or not bother and save my money. I bought the bike used with this set up with the exception of having SE slip ons as opposed to the Rinehart slip ons which i changed out. I know down load wasnt done yet because hits rev limiter at 5500 instead of 6200.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,242 Posts
The download will just basically raise the RPM limit. If anything a pair of Xieds would be fine getting the AFR a bit richer and help to cool the engine down a bit.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I had the same stuff on my 2010 and never dis the download or a tuner and was fine for 25k. Now on my 13 i did aame thing bt added the download and xieds, at different times and could see a small difference ever time. So i say get both is no future mods are in the process. But youll be ok if you dont.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a '13 WG with the SE a/c and slip ons. It came with this and a download. It had a bit of a decel pop and I asked them to check it out at the first service. They checked it out and said I'd have to get a tuner to get rid of that. The plugs look fine. I thought about xieds but was wondering if they worked well enough and also if they could tell they were on there when I brought it in for service. Of course I would take them off but didn't know if they could pull data from the ECM that would indicate them being on there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,242 Posts
The ECM won't tell that the Xieds were installed. The Xieds trick the ECM into thinking the engine is running lean so the ECM adds extra fuel is all.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so far for the replies, My bike has a SE heavy breather and Rinehart 3.5 slip ons with stock head pipe and I dont get any decel popping, bike does run great so far. I did order the xieds from nightrider on Ebay for 99.00 with free shipping so ill let you guys know how it goes. Hope they have good instructions for install. They are plug and play so as long as i follow the wire harness from the o2 sensors it should be real easy, just snap in between the exsisting connections and a ground wire I think. These xieds seem to be the up and comming thing, thats all I hear about now, people buying and installing. I never heard about them before up untill recently. If any on has installed them and can give any install tips or instructions it would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Thanks so far for the replies, My bike has a SE heavy breather and Rinehart 3.5 slip ons with stock head pipe and I dont get any decel popping, bike does run great so far. I did order the xieds from nightrider on Ebay for 99.00 with free shipping so ill let you guys know how it goes. Hope they have good instructions for install. They are plug and play so as long as i follow the wire harness from the o2 sensors it should be real easy, just snap in between the exsisting connections and a ground wire I think. These xieds seem to be the up and comming thing, thats all I hear about now, people buying and installing. I never heard about them before up untill recently. If any on has installed them and can give any install tips or instructions it would be greatly appriciated.
They have been around a while. There a lot of guys here at the forum that are running them. They are good for improved performance in general conditions. They aren't very good for high performance applications though. The Harley ECM - like all EFI systems - operates in "closed loop" (using data from the o2 sensors) at general cruise and most "normal" conditions.

However, at higher throttle positions - say 60-70% and up - it operates in "open loop." That is, the fuel output is regulated by the ECM without regard to the sensor input. So, in those instances and any other that forces the ECM into "open loop" mode, the Xieds aren't doing anything.

But, it should be noted that on a fairly "stockish" motor, the fuel additions at the higher throttle positions are far less than at the lower and moderate positions. The bike runs richer in those instances from the factory.

Below is the screen shot from the Dyno-Jet software of my map that is in use on my 2005 Electra Glide. Each number represents a percentage increase (or decrease in a few instances). The fuel corrections are based on the engine RPM and throttle position (the two axes of the grid)

Note that the lower throttle positions have much more fuel correction from stock than the higher. These higher throttle position corrections are the ones you would be missing using Xieds. And, of course, the Xieds can not decrease fuel output as this map does in a few specific areas nor are they at all specific to the use of a particular exhaust, cam, AC, etc.

So, a tuner is more comprehensive, but also more expensive and more complicated.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I know a fuel tuner would be the choice for a full exhaust and or cams and motor work but for me this is the set up in which I plan on sticking with. I want to keep this bike more tward the stock side, the rinehart slip ons give it all the noise I want and the heavy breather gives it enough air, I just wanted the bike to be slightly richer to make sure im not too lean. No big mods for this bike, not looking for more power, just want it to run a little cooler and sound good so from everything ive researched before and Schmidtys response, I feel this is the simplist and least expensive way to just add a little fuel. I was thinking about the down load but didnt think it is necessary now that I know about the xieds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts