Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker that's listed for 1999-2001 MM Fi. Would that also work on a 1996 Evo with the same MM system or would the breather bolts not line up? Does everything line up differently between the Twin Cam and the Evo with the MM induction? Not many options for an Evo with that injection unless you want the Kuryakin Hypercharger.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Looking at a Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker that's listed for 1999-2001 MM Fi. Would that also work on a 1996 Evo with the same MM system or would the breather bolts not line up? Does everything line up differently between the Twin Cam and the Evo with the MM induction? Not many options for an Evo with that injection unless you want the Kuryakin Hypercharger.
Your motors an Evo, that set-up is for a twin cam . With that being said, the intakes are IMS the same . There is also a SE set-up for that model . I think I'd call first before I ordered one . :)

·
Banned
181 Posts
No air filter is going to add HP by its self ...
I saw a filter the other day at Sturgis, advertising a 21% increase in power! LOL
There is a "sucker" coming along every minute.
Lets see if you have 70 HP the 20% more would be 14 more?
Yea ..right. LOL
Save your money .
And a hyper what ever will ad nothing either

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. No 1 component will add power by itself. I'm adding to what I have already. Vance and Hines true duals, RC Xhaust 4" mufflers and, a Wiseco fuel Controller. I want to add the air intake in preparation for the Andrews EV 13 cam I have sitting in my shed. I'm also going to need to change the ecm because the 96' isn't flashable. I'm trying to get things in order so I can reap the benefits of a cam swap. I have noticed other intakes fit Evo years through the Twin Cam years. If I'm not mIstaken the Screamin Eagle intake is obsolete as many of the parts to upgrade the older MM system.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The Wiseco controller should be all you need. You can upgrade to a '97 ECM to be able to reflash (if you can find one) but all you'll gain is a timing mod and higher RPM redline.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Also you can try Bills Custom Cycles in PA for the old OEM parts like a '97 ECM.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Agreed. No 1 component will add power by itself. I'm adding to what I have already. Vance and Hines true duals, RC Xhaust 4" mufflers and, a Wiseco fuel Controller. I want to add the air intake in preparation for the Andrews EV 13 cam I have sitting in my shed. I'm also going to need to change the ecm because the 96' isn't flashable. I'm trying to get things in order so I can reap the benefits of a cam swap. I have noticed other intakes fit Evo years through the Twin Cam years. If I'm not mIstaken the Screamin Eagle intake is obsolete as many of the parts to upgrade the older MM system.
If you are going with that cam and a fuel controller, look into adding the Red Top Injectors also . They are still made and you can get them, if you will do the work of looking on the net for them . The MoCo no longer carries them as a stock item, but you can get them from a Airplane Supply House . They still make all four colors of injectors for airplane motors .

Question : Why the EV13 over the EV27 or a SE3 ????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought about the injectors too but I'll see if I get enough fuel with the controller first. I chose the ev 13 because of my riding style. I'm not a hot rodder. Just need enough to pass without down shifting as much. It's a solid cam if you're not bumping comp. With the already low gearing I just want a little more in the middle and top.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thought about the injectors too but I'll see if I get enough fuel with the controller first. I chose the ev 13 because of my riding style. I'm not a hot rodder. Just need enough to pass without down shifting as much. It's a solid cam if you're not bumping comp. With the already low gearing I just want a little more in the middle and top.
When I was deciding to get into mine, the MoCo had a kit that included the red top injectors...SE3 cam (only .005 more lift than a EV27)..SE air intake....DL cartage . I looked around and found a new/old stock and bought it . Added a PowerCommander3 USB and Rineharts . I was looking for more low-mid seeing it was going on a Bagger . While I was looking , I did a little research on the injectors and found that they can be had in 4 flavors , black...red..orange...yellow .... Still made today . :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, talked to a guy at Ness and the only difference on the big sucker kit is two of the four mounting holes need enlarged by 1/16" and, take a small amount of material off the backing plate to clear an actuator. I'm guessing the cold idle stepper motor. Changing the injectors will probably have to happen because thinking about it the stock black ones will only flow at best the max it was designed for. Thanks for bouncing ideas around with me on an out dated fuel injection system. It's an older one but it's the one I've got and will probably have for a long time.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Going to the red tops will be the way to have what you're looking to do . :)

This fuel system is still in use today on airplane motors . So it can't be as bad as some folks would have you believe . :think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts