Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a new 2009 Street Glide. It was suggested that I install a stage 1 upgrade before I take it. Iwill be installing the V&H Mega oval's and the Higher air flow kit.
What I am confused about is that the dealer quoted me a $$ for this upgrade , but my frend's are asking me what was involved in the Stage 1. Was I getting a DOWNLOAD or a Fuel Module withthis price. My question is What is the differance? Can someone help ?
Tks.Glen

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What did your dealer say they were doing?

Remap or a SERT? (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner).

Stage I upgrade is usually pipes, aircleaner and a computer remap. Depending on your dealer, they may be selling you a SERT fuel management programmer, which in my opinion, is better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Something else to consider here...

I am in the process of purchasing a new 2009 Street Glide. It was suggested that I install a stage 1 upgrade before I take it. Iwill be installing the V&H Mega oval's and the Higher air flow kit.
What I am confused about is that the dealer quoted me a $$ for this upgrade , but my frend's are asking me what was involved in the Stage 1. Was I getting a DOWNLOAD or a Fuel Module withthis price. My question is What is the differance? Can someone help ?
Tks.Glen
Just my opinion here but unless you are going to be flat tracking your new bike around the oval course in a race mode, the SERT device is huge overkill. There are a lot of other after market fuel management devices that will do a better job for far less money. Another thing to remember is that once that SERT is installed you have zero warranty. Correct me if I am wrong here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just my opinion here but unless you are going to be flat tracking your new bike around the oval course in a race mode, the SERT device is huge overkill. There are a lot of other after market fuel management devices that will do a better job for far less money. Another thing to remember is that once that SERT is installed you have zero warranty. Correct me if I am wrong here.
Are you saying that the SEST voids the warranty but other after market fuel management devices do not?

I am not sure that either of them would result in "zero warranty."
Generally, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 the aftermarket part must have caused the problem. If it did then the problem is not covered by warranty. However, if the aftermarket part did not cause the problem it is covered under warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hummmm
o.k i put V/H pipes and a big sucker on my 09 fatbob and the dealer told me that all i would need is the stage 1 remap

All I was looking for is a better sound and maybe a little more power
I am not going to be racing this bike .
Do i need something else ?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Call me a stick in the mud unless your getting a terrificamazingasss deal...
Why dont you ride it stock for awhile and then when you get the stage one you can tell if you got your moneys worth if it rips harder than it did before.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Call me a stick in the mud....
Why I oughta.......:lol8

I love these posts. The "member" posts here as his very first post, then never returns to answer questions or otherwise..... :eek7

As for Stage-I mods, Yes a remap will surfice. A SERT gives you more adjustment, and a wider range of parameters to adjust.

Overkill? To some. If you want a canned MAP...

Warranty void?

Read your contracts of warranty people...... Despite whatever Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says, HD clearly states that modifications to the engine, exhaust or fuel management can void your warranty. M-MWA does NOT cover aftermarket PERFORMANCE exhahust, Performance fuel management, or otherwise. It does cover service, and general vehicle repairs. Modding a vehicle for more HP from it's original design is not covered.

You as the consumer, unless you have Dyno sheets, professional mechanincal background or otherwise, will never prove to HD that your mods DIDN'T cause the failure.

Your warranty being kept in good standing is primarily with your DEALER, who generally takes care of its customers that buy their exhaust, aircleaners, remaps from THEM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Call me a stick in the mud unless your getting a terrificamazingasss deal...
Why dont you ride it stock for awhile and then when you get the stage one you can tell if you got your moneys worth if it rips harder than it did before.
I wanted, well My wife:liz: told me that it did not make enough noise and too fix it . I said what? she said louder the better.:thumb And I had the money then and who knows about the money in a few months:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like how you think Forgetful. Go ahead and get your upgrades. Your bike will run better and cooler. Remember, the SERT is only as good as the person programming it. Many dealers DO NOT have techs that are well trained with the SERT. Not sure about yours.... Also, ASK your dealer if they install the parts will they honor your warranty. Better yet, get it in writing.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Why I oughta.......:lol8

Warranty void?

Read your contracts of warranty people...... Despite whatever Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says, HD clearly states that modifications to the engine, exhaust or fuel management can void your warranty. M-MWA does NOT cover aftermarket PERFORMANCE exhahust, Performance fuel management, or otherwise. It does cover service, and general vehicle repairs. Modding a vehicle for more HP from it's original design is not covered.

You as the consumer, unless you have Dyno sheets, professional mechanincal background or otherwise, will never prove to HD that your mods DIDN'T cause the failure.

Your warranty being kept in good standing is primarily with your DEALER, who generally takes care of its customers that buy their exhaust, aircleaners, remaps from THEM.

Exactly pretty much an oral contract with your dealer whether mods get waruntteed on even stuff they do. broke down outa your AO, dealer ship changes hands, Guy you dealt with gets fired.???????

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like how you think Forgetful. Go ahead and get your upgrades. Your bike will run better and cooler. Remember, the SERT is only as good as the person programming it. Many dealers DO NOT have techs that are well trained with the SERT. Not sure about yours.... Also, ASK your dealer if they install the parts will they honor your warranty. Better yet, get it in writing.
The dealer called HD ( and i was there ) about putting on extras.
as my bike is brand new i wanted to make sure about the warranty.
and this is what HD told my dealer. " if the part or parts are listed in the HD catalog and they are installed by an HD dealer it will not void your warranty " and because my bike is new and i have the extended warranty ( 7 years ) my parts will be covered for the warranty period . but the V/H pipes are not in the HD catalog so i think V/H gives 2 years on them.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
The dealer called HD ( and i was there ) about putting on extras.
as my bike is brand new i wanted to make sure about the warranty.
and this is what HD told my dealer. " if the part or parts are listed in the HD catalog and they are installed by an HD dealer it will not void your warranty " and because my bike is new and i have the extended warranty ( 7 years ) my parts will be covered for the warranty period . but the V/H pipes are not in the HD catalog so i think V/H gives 2 years on them.
I got the extended warranty but it's only for four years. Is harley offering a seven year warranty now?

·
What?
3,256 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts