Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm considering going to stage 2 with my '09 Fat Boy. Currently it has the SE Heavy Breather, V&H Pro Pipe and SE Pro Super Tuner. In December it dynoed at 78hp & 95ft/lbs all both 3500 rpm.

What kind of hp & torque gains should I expect from the HD Stage 2, 103" kit? Anyone out there have that Stage 2 setup? What are your thoughts on this setup?:feedback:

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Really depends on what cams you get, and if you do any head work or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on using the SE-255s included in the kit with no head work. Most of my riding is done on the highway. Also made an error with the hp peak. It comes in @ 5500 rpm not 3500.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have same set up as you are talking about with the exception of exhaust system.
2012 FB / 103 ci / SE Heavy Breather / SE 255 cams / V&H Big Shots / Race Tuner.

Dyno'd at 88 hp / 102 tq. My exhaust is holding back the numbers somewhat. I would think yours would turn out better numbers than mine with the 2 into 1 exhaust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
an independent (like Kirby or Scott) will be able to get you into something better than the dealer at a cheaper price. Look up Hillside Cycle (they're in your neck of the woods)

·
Registered
146 Posts
might think about putting that money into some head work. cams and head work will easily get you to 100hp on your 95

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
Not being rude or trying to stir up anything but , from my first day on a Harley , back in 68 , I never once thought of it in terms of performance...outside of the Sportsters . Harleys ( Hogs ) were/are cruisers . It was always about torque , not horsepower . Low to mid-range powerbands were the areas to improve on .

After riding an RC51 for 9 years and a VMax in the same time frame , I had my fill of flat out speed and power and got back on a Harley for the kind of ride only it can provide .

My point is this , and I ask it to broaden my understanding of the subject...why do you guys want something out of this engine that just doesn't come from 40 year old technology ? We all understand Harleys aren't built with current/cutting edge tech in the area of power...just sayin...

:biker:

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
My point is this , and I ask it to broaden my understanding of the subject...why do you guys want something out of this engine that just doesn't come from 40 year old technology ? We all understand Harleys aren't built with current/cutting edge tech in the area of power...just sayin...

Some people are happy with what they have, others want to improve what they got. You can have a Harley and make it faster no matter how old the technology is. It's still better than buying Jap!

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Not being rude or trying to stir up anything but , from my first day on a Harley , back in 68 , I never once thought of it in terms of performance...outside of the Sportsters . Harleys ( Hogs ) were/are cruisers . It was always about torque , not horsepower . Low to mid-range powerbands were the areas to improve on .

After riding an RC51 for 9 years and a VMax in the same time frame , I had my fill of flat out speed and power and got back on a Harley for the kind of ride only it can provide .

Not sure of the point youre trying to make....

Why do people hot rod small block chevys when they aren't a dohc v-12?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Not being rude or trying to stir up anything but
<snip>
...why do you guys want something out of this engine that just doesn't come from 40 year old technology ? We all understand Harleys aren't built with current/cutting edge tech in the area of power...just sayin...

Hmmm ... Okay, I'll bite. My bike had the stage 1 done to it by the previous owner. I'm sure, when it was done, the owner was taking the advice of the dealership guys on what improvements to make.

Since we live in Eastern Washington, the bikes come to us configured and tuned based on the EPA requirements, which put them too lean for our area. Way too lean.

After riding the bike for the last year, I see where a couple of those choices were not the best. And, that is based on the kind of riding I like to do. While the power is great and the ride is good, I felt that there were times when the mileage sucked and the power dropped out of the bottom (like when crossing the continental divide -- in a headwind).

So, I'm investing in a new tuner (an adaptive tuner, to be precise), and a remotely adjustable rear suspension ('cause I like it). What I expect is that the ThunderMax will level out the overall mileage, power and performance and help the bike maintain usable power across a variety of altitudes and air pressures, adapting as it is being ridden. I've done my research, asked a local independent who has done the work on a number of bikes, and talked to the owners of said bikes. So far, nothing negative.

The above disclaimers apply, though. I could be wrong and throwing a lot of money away for no good reason (just ask SWMBO).

I don't think so.

Anyone interested in a ScreamingEagle SuperTune? ;-)

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Not sure of the point youre trying to make....

Why do people hot rod small block chevys when they aren't a dohc v-12?
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

Some people always want more. What's better than nostalgia? Nostalgia plus power. :laugh

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'd put a stroker kit in a weed-eater if they made one.
I had a Vmax for five years, and after 4 months I went with the 1260 big bore kit. How much power did I need?
Answer: More than I had.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Some folks are really pushing the envelope on these antique motors , this thing sounds Bad @ss ,

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
I'd like to see the AF graph on that one.

Sounds like he's leaving some HP on the table by it going way lean.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers...I GET wanting more power and personal preference on how much is enough . You can get 1000 horses or more out of a small block , and save weight over the big block , I got it . And I've seen the HD NHRA bikes...maybe my problem is a powerful , built-up bagger that has the aerodynamics of a cement block and the handling of a wheelbarrow...:what?

Like I said...just sayin' :thumbsup

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers...I GET wanting more power and personal preference on how much is enough . You can get 1000 horses or more out of a small block , and save weight over the big block , I got it . And I've seen the HD NHRA bikes...maybe my problem is a powerful , built-up bagger that has the aerodynamics of a cement block and the handling of a wheelbarrow...:what?

Like I said...just sayin' :thumbsup
Road Glides are wind tunnel designed and tested, no cement block. Handles better than most bikes. Springers are more for looks. My RGC is fast and handles. Just sayin' . Love passing crotch rockets in the twisties.

·
Registered
419 Posts
An old biker once told me a long, long time ago, "too much is just enough."

:cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts