Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the snafoo with the H-D OEM paint I decided to rattle can it seems as if I can do a better job with it than my HVLP set up lately less variables I guess figured I would post some pics for you guys. Of course this is before color sanding and buffing. I'll post more after the buffing and polishing is complete. ImageUploadedByMO Free1422422064.046996.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1422422083.273246.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1422422093.611952.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1422422104.556044.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
looks pretty good!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i seem to do better with a rattle can as well. paint from the gun is always touchy here. very hot in summer an winter is off an on. summer time it drys faster than i can shoot an winter it runs like mad. ive tried an tried. now i just said screw it.
you got a nice job going on there.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
That's an awesome job for a rattle can!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup it's rattle can all Color Rite base and clear. The clear kind of sucked it really didn't have a good film build and there was some dry misting so a lot of wet sanding to be done :/ thanks guys!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice job....I just did a set of lowers and also got my paint from Color Rite. The color coat went on nice but the clear they sent me was a challenge to try and spray from a can. I put more clear on then needed because I could tell I was going to have to wet sand and buff. Color is 2014 Charcoal Pearl !

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good bud. Yea I wasn't real happy with the clear either I thought about putting more coats on to get a higher build but the can says it might yellow and I didn't want that. I just wonder if we could use a different clear ok their paint? Something I can spray from my HVLP gun.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I love about SoCal year round riding ? it makes it tough to do projects like this though having down time when the weather is nice sucks!! Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Looks good! I used the Color rite paint also and had the same results with the clear coat. It went on smooth, but the shine is not as deep as the OEM job. I thought about putting on more coats but like you said, the instructions said it would yellow.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Yea I just wonder if there is another clear we can use with it like the 2k clear. I have an old fender I may try it on?

Try painting the old fender with the rattle can and let it cure. Sand lightly with 2000 grit then try clear coating with spray gun. Just saying, or go to a paint store and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
146 Posts
THAT"S a rattle can?!?! SWEET!!! I'm firing up the internet as we speak and getting ready to order some.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts