Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 Softail Classic: I received all the service records from the dealer (I think) and the previous owner had a screaming eagle big bore kit installed in 2008 or 2009. The bike runs great! The service records were extensive but I was a bit concerned about the starter. On occasion, I've had issues especially when warmed up to the point where it has taken me 3-5 cranks to get going and it sounds awful. Dealer tells me he recommends pressure release switches to fix the situation. He claims they are an option on the BB kit install. I don't see any record of starter replacement. Can I assume that my starter may be wearing out due to this condition and replacing it will get me another 5 years or should I expect it to wear out much sooner? I've read about the different types of switches I just want to know my options.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Softail Classic: I received all the service records from the dealer (I think) and the previous owner had a screaming eagle big bore kit installed in 2008 or 2009. The bike runs great! The service records were extensive but I was a bit concerned about the starter. On occasion, I've had issues especially when warmed up to the point where it has taken me 3-5 cranks to get going and it sounds awful. Dealer tells me he recommends pressure release switches to fix the situation. He claims they are an option on the BB kit install. I don't see any record of starter replacement. Can I assume that my starter may be wearing out due to this condition and replacing it will get me another 5 years or should I expect it to wear out much sooner? I've read about the different types of switches I just want to know my options.
Look to your battery first, have it load tested.

:coffee:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery tests good. I took it to another dealer after I bought it for an inspection and they pointed out a few things that the original dealer took care of under the warranty period however the bike always starts so they wouldn't replace the starter they just explained the whole pressure release thing to me. I guess the real question is how long can I expect the starter to last without the pressure release system, it appears to have lasted 6-7 years for the previous owner.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
First thing I'd do is find out why it's hard to start. If everything about the motor is correct, it should start quickly every time. Even with high compression, it should not be "hard" starting. Getting the engine "right" will prolong the starter life and make you feel a lot better about your ride. Find a good mechanic, either at a dealer or independent, that can "tweek" everything.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Battery tests good. I took it to another dealer after I bought it for an inspection and they pointed out a few things that the original dealer took care of under the warranty period however the bike always starts so they wouldn't replace the starter they just explained the whole pressure release thing to me. I guess the real question is how long can I expect the starter to last without the pressure release system, it appears to have lasted 6-7 years for the previous owner.
Unless its high compression ( I don't think so ) no real need for comp-releases . 8.2 is 8.2 no matter if it's a 3 3/4 or a 3 7/8 piston.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
There really is`t a way to gauge starter life. Miles on the bike really have no bearing.
If the miles were put on in large chunks then the starter was`t used a lot.
If they were put on in short hops. Then the starter was used frequently. Lots of start cycles equals wear and tear equals shorter life.
Other factors figure in as well. Over all engine condition\tune, starting system, battery\charging system all play into the equation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My starter needs to be replaced.

The forum is loaded with posts about compression and starters when stage 2 modification has been done. There are many ways to help relieve the pressure manually or automatically. These are facts.

The main reason to do the pressure release is to prolong the life of the starter....so how long will it last without the pressure release system? 5 years ? 2 years?

·
Banned
71 Posts

The forum is loaded with posts about compression and starters when stage 2 modification has been done. There are many ways to help relieve the pressure manually or automatically. These are facts.

The main reason to do the pressure release is to prolong the life of the starter....so how long will it last without the pressure release system? 5 years ? 2 years?
Take your starter to a starter rebuilding shop. 50 to 75 bucks and it's like new. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Look a shop up in your area in the yellow pages . :)

·
Registered
39,458 Posts

You have the 1.4KW starter.

I had the 1.2KW starter which lasted ~8 years, on a 10.5:1 compression motor.
Although, I do have manual compression releases.

Also to note, your starter is easier to replace than mine.
You don't need to remove your outer primary to replace, 2006 and earlier you do.
But bad thing is to replace starter on all Softails, the oil tank needs to be removed.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
EZ start cams would be an easier DIY, IMO.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A big bore kit should not necessarley mean you need comp releases unless the cam profile along with 10-5-1 comp proves to be to much for the starter.
I have had two Twin cam motors done a 88 to 95 and a 103 to 110 without having to install comp releases and they start just fine.
Have your starter and battery checked as needed.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
8.2 is 8.2 no matter if it's a 3 3/4 or a 3 7/8 piston.
Using your analogy, it would not matter if the pistons were 10" diameter, would it?

The ratio may be the same, but the force required to move them is not.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
What webco is trying to say it that it's the psi within the cylinder is the dominant factor.

What determines psi is the compression ratio.

Bore size does come into play on psi, as the area on the surface of the piston is increased.

But going from 88 ci pistons (3.75" bore) to 103 ci pistons (3.875" bore) = 11.04 sq in -> 11.80 sq in, or an increase of only 3.33%

·
Banned
71 Posts
I was trying to keep it simple. I could figger the Hp required to move each piston set-up...but it's so small a difference why bother.

I guess I need to be more eggzakly on the wing or I could get flocked once again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big bore kit should not necessarley mean you need comp releases unless the cam profile along with 10-5-1 comp proves to be to much for the starter.
I have had two Twin cam motors done a 88 to 95 and a 103 to 110 without having to install comp releases and they start just fine.
Have your starter and battery checked as needed.
I think this answers my question best....thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What webco is trying to say it that it's the psi within the cylinder is the dominant factor.
What determines psi is the compression ratio.

Bore size does come into play on psi, as the area on the surface of the piston is increased.

But going from 88 ci pistons (3.75" bore) to 103 ci pistons (3.875" bore) = 11.04 sq in -> 11.80 sq in, or an increase of only 3.33%
Ok, I`ll agree with that, I`ve been nitpicky all day....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts