Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update..... It looks like the Stage 3-122ci is new, so very few will have it installed already.

Has anyone done the Stage 3-122ci install? Wondering if it's worth doing, or going straight to Stage 4-131ci. Of course the cost is what is driving my decision. $1800+labor vs $3500+labor.

Bite the bullet and go big, or go the cheaper route?

Also, if I do decide to go to stage 4 after 3, is it another complete install or an "easier" job?

·
Registered
39,780 Posts
You can go to 128 CI with a big bore kit.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can go to 128 CI with a big bore kit.
You talking about the S&S kit? I'll have to wait til the warranty is up if I go any way other than SE Kits.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What every man wants...More power, torque, better throttle response, sound🍺 :cool:
I agree with that but you can only use so much of that on a public highway ,especially with all the speed cameras about.
As for sound I love loud pipes but the Governments of Europe don't France , Germany , Switzerland countries I know have very stringent laws on noise .
(y)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with that but you can only use so much of that on a public highway ,especially with all the speed cameras about.
As for sound I love loud pipes but the Governments of Europe don't France , Germany , Switzerland countries I know have very stringent laws on noise .
(y)
Oh right. That's annoying. Europe is big on speed cameras, and sound restrictions. We have some nice stretches of road here in Northern NJ bordering NY state (State parks, interstate roads), where you can really get on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
don't forget about the states of South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. these have posted 85mph speed limits and very straight highways to wind it out on. course only good from spring to fall.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It gets a bit toasty above 105 (and we had a record number of 110+ days this year), but there really is never a time when you can't ride (with a few monsoon afternoons being the exception).
I can Definitely deal with that. I'll take a few 100+ days. I am a fan of the heat :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don't forget about the states of South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. these have posted 85mph speed limits and very straight highways to wind it out on. course only good from spring to fall.
Higher speed limits make everything more efficient ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
One more vote for Stage 4/131. I had it done at the dealer because as you pointed out this is still pretty new kit. In addition to being ecstatically happy with it, I'll note you definitely want to upgrade the suspension if you haven't already. S4/131 with the stock waterbed suspension would be at least 50% suicide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm really interested in the 122 Stage III upgrade, though not planning to make a decision soon. I currently have a Stage II with Wood 22X-E and Fat Cat 2-1. My bike is a 2018 Heritage 114. I'll be honest, performance is already great. The dyno says 112.48 HP and 124.76 TQ. With the Softail frame, that's pretty nice for how I ride. Not sure I have a logical reason to upgrade further, but interested anyway "just because." I like that the 122 and 131 would be moreso covered by my Discount ESP warranty. It covers H-D parts. It is not voided by aftermarket parts, but it does not cover them. Otherwise, I'd probably lean toward S&S 128. With the 122, I could stick with my cam, with the 131, I'd probably go with a Wood 408, which adds to parts and labor. Between the 122 and the 131, I am on a Softail and I rarely ride 2-up, so to the extent that logic plays into this, I think logic points to the 122. But I'm kind of stalling for other people to do builds with the kit and see what's possible with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts