Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the double post.

Stage II engine built at 26,400 miles. 50 mile break in period went very well. The next 500 miles also went well for the break*-in, with no metal when filtering the oil.

The problem is with low speed cruising, especially after a cold start up. When I take off and I am heading out in second gear around 2500 rpm's at a steady throttle, the engine seems to run rough. It feels like both cylinders are firing, then one and then back to both. If I give it gas this roughness stops. If I do the same in about any gear below 3000 rpm's at any temperature it reappears. If i coast to a stop, from cruising, the engine wants to, but does not back fire. You just feel it . Then without touching the throttle the bike will act as though I have added throttle for a split second, coast and do it again depending how long I coast to a stop.

We have gone through several different downloads to the CPM, with the same results. We found that Delphi made several different CPM's for 05 and 06 models. Once the dealer notified Harley of the one we had, we supposedly got the right download, but yet with the same results.

I am wondering if it is simply me not understanding what the new cams are doing at low rpm's or we simply don't have the right program yet. The dealer Is great and has gone out of their way to diagnose different scenarios, including fuel pressure, cam sensor, new plugs, etc. We have used 4 different downloads with the first being very rich. It always pops right off when starting.it has not been dynoed yet

2005 Heritage Softail EFI with 27,000 miles, very well cared for.

Suggestions?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Check for a leak on your intake gaskets. With the engine running, spray some starting fluid around your intake down stream of the fuel injection. If the bike revs up, you have a leak.

·
luv the low country
20,338 Posts
Peter157, it would be nice if you would finish up your thread with results. It may just benefit others with similar problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts