Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologize in advance for my lack of knowlege...

Almost everyone I show my new bike (2013 Fatboy Lo) ask me if I'm going to do a stage1, I'm new to the awesome "Harley" expedience...I did a search and found lots of info talking about "stage1", but not really explaining what is it you do to the bike...

Definitely appreciate a quick lesson...Thanks.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Stage 1

1. High flow air cleaner, usually made up of new filter and polished back plate and port.

2. Some sort of exhaust upgrade, be it a complete new system or slip on mufflers.

3. Computer tuning to adjust for new levels of fresh air and less exhaust back pressure.

Depending on what you do for a new exhaust, a stage one can be done for anywhere from $600ish to well over a Grand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stage 1

1. High flow air cleaner, usually made up of new filter and polished back plate and port.

2. Some sort of exhaust upgrade, be it a complete new system or slip on mufflers.

3. Computer tuning to adjust for new levels of fresh air and less exhaust back pressure.

Depending on what you do for a new exhaust, a stage one can be done for anywhere from $600ish to well over a Grand.

Thanks JP.

I though it was something you do to the engine...

Guess I'll be doing stage1 very soon...

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Stage 2 is really nothing more than cams and lifters.

Stage 3 is all engine. Heads, pistons, rings, bearings, etc........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again JP for all the info...Little by little I learn something new every day on the forum...

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
That's what the forum is for.

The other stuff is just the gravy that keeps us here when we're not talking about bikes.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
And thank you JP, I thought I only had a stage 1 on my bike. I still think it is.
Stage 1, then I replaced the cam tentioner with an SE hydrolic and while I was in there, replaced the cam with a SE203, tapered adjustable rods, lifters, bearing, oil spring, and the stage 1 flash for the ECM. I still get the same MPG (even more mpg now that I use E-free gas) but I have more power. I used to have to down shift on a couple hils out my way and now, I can easily lay on it and maintain speed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep hanging around here and you will learn alot of good info. Congrat's on the Fatboy low.
Thanks, this bike is amazing, love the look, comfort, ride and power...Don't participate on lots of threads (yet) but reading almost everthing...Like the forum very much, definitely lots of knowledge and good bunch of guys...

·
Registered
870 Posts
I bought my '08 Street Glide used.

It has V&H oval slip on mufflers.

Is there a way to tell by looking at the air filter/plate if it is oem or a stage 1 upgrade ?

If I went to an upgraded air filter should I have the ECM flashed ?

Do all K&N filters (for HD) require that oil treatment, I'd prefer to avoid that hassle.

Will the bike run hotter or cooler (eng temp) than stock ?

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I bought my '08 Street Glide used.

It has V&H oval slip on mufflers.

Is there a way to tell by looking at the air filter/plate if it is oem or a stage 1 upgrade ?
If you look behind your air cleaner cover it most likley it will be opened up if it has a stage 1 intake. If not it should be enclosed in black plastic that fits the air cleaner cover outer dimensions.

Also , stage one isn't just a K&N filter it's the whole air cleaner base & filter together , opens it up to suck more air.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you look behind your air cleaner cover it most likley it will be opened up if it has a stage 1 intake. If not it should be enclosed in black plastic that fits the air cleaner cover outer dimensions.

Also , stage one isn't just a K&N filter it's the whole air cleaner base & filter together , opens it up to suck more air.
Thanks, I'll check that out in the morning. Once I get it all tucked away and the garage door closed, it's almost impossible to get at.

They way you describe it, I'm thinking that is a Stage I filter already on there.

I know when I crack the throttle I can literally hear it sucking air, even over the sound of those V&H mufflers..........and I like that.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Sounds like it to me , if it was enclosed in the OEM housing I doubt you could hear it sucking air especially over the V&H . . . . does sound good :thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts