Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....I'm hoping some of you can help me out and point me in the right direction. Here's what I'm facing: I have an '06 RK Classic, EFI, Stage 1 (V&H), aprox 17.5K miles

On an occasional basis when I come to a stop (light, stop sign, traffic) the idle will drop so low it wants to stall. I can usually catch it, give it a rev and keep it alive....but if I don't touch the throttle she stalls. But she starts right back up.

I also occasionally have the idle racing. Nothing crazy, maybe a few thousand rpm (no tach so I'm guessing).

I can have one happen one day and the other the next....and then be fine for weeks. I can't seem to find any correlation for either symptom. Hot days, cold days, short trips, long trips, caught in traffic or after high speed run, full tank of fuel or fumes doesn't seem to matter. There hasn't been any drop off in performance. If she stalls (or is about to) and the light changes she drives off perfectly.

Spark plugs are new (but the problem pre-dated them) and I go through a tank a fuel every week and half and throw some Seafoam in on occasion.

I went through the Haynes manual and the only thing I could think of was throttle cables maybe being out of adjustment or sticking but it seems like a bit of a long shot.

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Clean the iac with some carb cleaner and look for possible intake leaks...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys....I gave it a shot last night and will road test it tomorrow.

The Haynes manual makes it look like you have to remove the fuel tank to replace it...is that true?

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The rear of the tank only needs to be raised a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...a few follow ups:

CRC throttle body/intake cleaner worked pretty good. I got about a tank - tank and a half before it started up again

Seafoam Deep Creep was horrible. Gave it a shot and it was good for about 100 yards. I couldn't even shift without it wanting to stall

It may be just me being a little squirrely with all the stuff attached to the gas tank, but I wasn't able to rotate it up and out of the way to replace the IAC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts