Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Well I'm considering renting a soàftail heritage this summer and the dealers/official rental places I contacted say that it is a HD policy to rent all bikes with standard exhaust systems in California / Nevada.

My question is: is there any easy way (like doing it on a parking lot in less than 1 hour) to modify standard pipes (and so geting a big sound) by taking out the inner muffler an screwing it back in when returning the bike. If so, where can I get the propoer procedure to follow? Any risks to damage the valves or other engine parts? I'm about to do some 3000 miles in 2 weeks' time... and would love to have a proper harley sound...

Thanks for the help.

Madfab:D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
It could damage the bike if your riding in the desert with a lean running air cooled motor.

It will sound good enough I think, just keep a heavy hand on the throttle.

Maybe someone else might feel different. Just my opinion.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Um... it's a rental - that does not give you the right to make any modifications to the bike. They do inspect it for damage both before it goes out and after it returns - and IIRC you would be liable for anything other than what they determine to be "reasonable and customary" wear. Maybe I'm just naive.

Besides, where would you store the parts while you were out riding around?

Depending on the length of time you plan on being here, you may be better off buying something used, doing what you want to it and then selling it when you're done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merci !!!!

:( Well, I guess that I'll have to handle this with reason... stock pipes it is... just too bad... last year I rented one in Florida and it came with a full stage 1 SE.... I'll keep the throttle open ! :ride

Thanks for the replies !

Madfab

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Cali is arguably some of the most beautiful riding the US has to offer... enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts