Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Possibly a failing starter over run clutch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh jeeze.....I hope not. It just started doing it all of the sudden and I just assumed it was the battery (original from 2006) so I changed it and same deal....would I have noticed symptoms or had to do something to it to do that?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check and clean your ground wires at the frame.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed my starter relay....no help still clicks. Ill have to check the grounds at the frame. I have to look I only remember it grounding to the starter. The starter itself is what is clicking not the relay or anything.

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
I'm guessing the battery negative cable is loose. When removing and installing the Sporty battery the negative cable has to be removed from the trans and pulled out with the battery then tightened to the battery and fished back down to the trans. If not done that way the cable will loosen when pushing the battery back into the box. The clicking sound would be from the loose connection arching.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm guessing the battery negative cable is loose. When removing and installing the Sporty battery the negative cable has to be removed from the trans and pulled out with the battery then tightened to the battery and fished back down to the trans. If not done that way the cable will loosen when pushing the battery back into the box. The clicking sound would be from the loose connection arching.
I did exactly as you said. I fished the cable back in and re attached it to the trans. The clicking is coming right from the starter so my guess is its on its way out :( I wonder how much that will run me

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a little update. I checked my codes and I got the p0562 low battery voltage code. So now I don't think it's the starter. I'm gonna look for bad grounds again and I saw on a different thread on xlforum to check the prongs on the connections of the VR. Now I'm leaning more towards a regulator problem or a stator problem. I don't have a voltmeter to check. Maybe I can borrow one. Ill let you guys know what I find.

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Sounds like you are running in circles!

Start by bench charging the battery to full charge. Then check all battery connections, both positive and negative. Start the bike, if it starts, then check the voltage on the battery, with the engine running about 2000 rpm. Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 volts.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Another problem the Sportsters have is water accumulation in the rear of the fuse box. That causes the relays to stay active with the ignition off and draining the battery. The fix is to pull all the fuses and relays, blow any water out of the fuse block, apply dielectric grease to all the terminals and re-install relays and fuses.
The water gets into the rear of the fuse block via the main wiring harness which runs along the frame under the gas tank and down into the back of the fuse block.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another problem the Sportsters have is water accumulation in the rear of the fuse box. That causes the relays to stay active with the ignition off and draining the battery. The fix is to pull all the fuses and relays, blow any water out of the fuse block, apply dielectric grease to all the terminals and re-install relays and fuses.
The water gets into the rear of the fuse block via the main wiring harness which runs along the frame under the gas tank and down into the back of the fuse block.
Thanks for tho tip ill try that as well

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I tried the volt meter. Strange results. With the bike off it read 11.7 volts. Then I started the bike and it jumped to 13.9 volts. I'd idled for about 20 seconds and when I shut it off it was at 13 volts. I unhooked it and hooked it again and it says 12.3 volts. I load tested it. It drops from 12.3 volts to 11.2 and goes back to 12.3. Doesn't make sense to me. When the bikes idling if I idle up a little it doesn't move the meter but if I idle way up the volts seem to drop??? Maybe it's my meter. By the way I'm using a load tester to meter the volts.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
OK, 11.7 volts is a discharged battery!

First off, bench charge the battery to full charge. The bike system will not charge a really low battery!

With the battery charged, the running voltage, with the RPM's at about 2000, should be about 14 volts.

If not, either the regulator or stator is bad. Of course this is dependent on all wiring connections being good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, 11.7 volts is a discharged battery!

First off, bench charge the battery to full charge. The bike system will not charge a really low battery!

With the battery charged, the running voltage, with the RPM's at about 2000, should be about 14 volts.

If not, either the regulator or stator is bad. Of course this is dependent on all wiring connections being good.
Hmm okay that means I'm loosing juice somewhere. Because the battery is fairly new. You said bench charge the battery. I'm guessing you mean remove the battery and charge it. I already connected it to a tender will that do? Or you think I should pull it and charge it alone? I was thinking ill charge it with the tender and once it's full I was gonna see if she still clicks. But if you think I will be better off removing it I will just let me know! Thanks a lot man!! This has been driving me crazy

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
You need remove, or at least disconnect the battery,( you can remove the main fuse), put it on a "real" charger and charge it.

No meaningful voltage measurements can be made without a fully charged battery. Even brand new batteries can be low or even bad. Almost no one prepares a battery correctly when installing them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need remove, or at least disconnect the battery,( you can remove the main fuse), put it on a "real" charger and charge it.

No meaningful voltage measurements can be made without a fully charged battery. Even brand new batteries can be low or even bad. Almost no one prepares a battery correctly when installing them.
What is a real charger? I was told not to use a car battery charger on a gel battery.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
You can charge the battery with an automotive charger. If you bought the H-D battery read the charging instructions that came with it. With a 10 amp charger you would charge a 50% charged battery for an hour if my memory serves me right. The instructions have the percentages and times.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts