Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thank you for allowing my post to your group. Yesterday i rode in a memorial ride for one of our fallen brothers . I have a 87 heritage .At our second stop ,about a hour after we got there , i noticed i could hear my bike turning over from where i was sitting .As i looked over i saw 4 or 5 people standing next to it so i jumped up and ran over . Not knowing what was goin on . When i got there the bike was cranking over , and bike was in first gear . I had parked rite in front of huge tree , the bike had already scotched itself against tree . A fellow biker was holding clutch so bike wouldnt move anymore . I have a master cutoff switch on bike and i killed power . OKAY , bike ign switch was OFF , motor was cranking over .And also i have a flip up screen radio and it was powered up .ALOT of riders there and no one including myself had ever heard of this kinda thing happening . ANYONE have a clue what could have caused this ???????????

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It is possible that the starter relay has failed.

Disconnect the small wire from the starter solenoid, turn the power on, if the starter cranks on its own, the problem is in the solenoid or the mechanical parts in the primary.

If the starter does not crank when you turn the power back on, get out your trusty voltmeter and read the voltage at the end of the wire you disconnected from the solenoid: Take one voltage reading while the starter button is pressed, the other reading when the starter button is not pressed.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
The radio issue is of concern here because it shouldn't be involved in the starter circuit. Starter relay is a good place to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
starter gremlin

Rite after i shut my power kill off , i waited about 30 seconds or so and turned back on ,was fine not cranking . Of course i had to replace the relay ,as i have several times over the 5 years that i have had bike . Heard that was a common problem . Jumped of the selonoid many nites with a quarter to get home , because starter button would work . Once relay was replaced ,it started rite up , as it normally does after replacement .You know of course theres 12volts on the selonoid main lead all the time , and i guess in something freaky could have happened , and somehow made contact inside and caused starter to engage. I feel i got pretty lucky that i was that close to bike and so lucky that the big oak was in front of tire , if not it would have went a few feet then kicked of stand and probably damaged someone elses ride

·
Banned
71 Posts
Rite after i shut my power kill off , i waited about 30 seconds or so and turned back on ,was fine not cranking . Of course i had to replace the relay ,as i have several times over the 5 years that i have had bike . Heard that was a common problem . Jumped of the selonoid many nites with a quarter to get home , because starter button would work . Once relay was replaced ,it started rite up , as it normally does after replacement .You know of course theres 12volts on the selonoid main lead all the time , and i guess in something freaky could have happened , and somehow made contact inside and caused starter to engage. I feel i got pretty lucky that i was that close to bike and so lucky that the big oak was in front of tire , if not it would have went a few feet then kicked of stand and probably damaged someone elses ride
Inspect the starter solenoid , new plunger and contacts can be had at any starter repair shop for next to nothing ( compared to the MoCo price ) . Relays can be bought at autoparts stores . AutoZone ..O'Riellys ... etc .

NEVER leave in GEAR . JMHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts