Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing if any one would be able to help. Have a 05 Road King with a starting issue. Originally bike was giving me an issue starting making no noise when engaging the start button....i jumped it from a car for several hours and eventually the bike turned over and a road around to get a charge for the following ride. When I came back to start the bike 3 days later there was no clicking/ noise from the start button. Eventually bought a new battery to eliminate that issue, bike started once fine. since then tested battery for charge and load, checked fuses & start relay, removed tank and checked for continuity at the wiring harness and bars which all have checked out fine. I jumped at the starter and I get the motor to crank but not turn over do to high compression motor. Any suggestions thanks.

·
Registered
2004 fatboy, 2014 SGS and 2019 heritage
124 Posts
seeing if any one would be able to help. Have a 05 Road King with a starting issue. Originally bike was giving me an issue starting making no noise when engaging the start button....i jumped it from a car for several hours and eventually the bike turned over and a road around to get a charge for the following ride. When I came back to start the bike 3 days later there was no clicking/ noise from the start button. Eventually bought a new battery to eliminate that issue, bike started once fine. since then tested battery for charge and load, checked fuses & start relay, removed tank and checked for continuity at the wiring harness and bars which all have checked out fine. I jumped at the starter and I get the motor to crank but not turn over do to high compression motor. Any suggestions thanks.
Did you have the car running when using it to jump the bike?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It makes no difference whether the car is running or not.
It sure does matter, your car puts out a lot amperage then the bike battery can handle, you can kill your battery real quick or even damage your electronics. Ask a HD tech or go watch HD techs you tube videos. It is recommended not to have the car running.

My 2014 touring manual even states "DO NOT jump from a running booster vehicle, it can cause damage to the electronics". I will find an online manual and copy the exact wording.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The battery in the vehicle can put out more amps than the alternator.
The amount of amperage that goes to the bike when jumpstarting is determined by the resistance of the bikes battery and starter.
The car alternator does not push amperage, the bike battery draws only the amperage it needs, this is simple ohm`s law.

Reactions: Wiredog

·
Registered
124 Posts
The amount of amperage that goes to the bike when jumpstarting is determined by the resistance of the bikes battery.
The car alternator does not push amperage, the bike battery draws only the amperage it needs, this is simple ohm`s law.
Wrong, i know how charging systems work, i worked on many of them, but you keep believing that. I will go with the experts on this one. Let's get back on topic to help the OP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wrong, i know how charging systems work, i worked on many of them, but you keep believing that. I will go with the experts on this one. Let's get back on topic to help the OP.
The battery of the car is in fact capable of supplying more amperage than the alternator. Car batteries are generally 500+ amps while alternators are generally less than 200. The voltage will be higher with the car running and that may or may not be a problem, I don't know. It would be silly to design the electronics in a way that won't withstand jump starting from a running vehicle but silly does happen.

The OP seems to have some kind of parasitic drain or maybe just leaving the key on.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The battery of the car is in fact capable of supplying more amperage than the alternator. Car batteries are generally 500+ amps while alternators are generally less than 200. The voltage will be higher with the car running and that may or may not be a problem
The charging system on the car is the same voltage as our bikes (12v system), so there is no voltage problem.
And as you said, a car battery can provide 500 amps.

My unsolicited opinion about jumpstarting a bike, or any vehicle:

Jumpstarting is a last effort to get back on the road to get you home.

Jumpstarting a bike in your driveway is foolish...If your battery is dead, troubleshoot the issue.

Jumper cables are not a troubleshooting tool, they are a rescue tool.

Load test battery, clean all battery cable connections, troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
This thread is stuck on post #2:

It cranks but does not turn over does not make sense.
Please clarify.
If the pistons are moving, its "Cranking" that's, also means the crankshaft is "Turning over". Just for the record!
The OP really needs to explain more precisely exactly what the bike is doing or not doing!

Reactions: JLR and I'm Rich

·
Registered
22 Posts
This thread is stuck on post #2:

If the pistons are moving, its "Cranking" that's, also means the crankshaft is "Turning over". Just for the record!
The OP really needs to explain more precisely exactly what the bike is doing or not doing!
What I got from that segment was that it tries but when it comes up on compression it can't turn it over. Definitely could be wrong but that's what I make of it.

·
Just Ride
4,044 Posts
One and done. Wonkey you are not making friends,you might not care but I consider you a newbie and don't believe you know what you are talking about. Not starting shit but we'll see how you respond.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One and done. Wonkey you are not making friends,you might not care but I consider you a newbie and don't believe you know what you are talking about. Not starting shit but we'll see how you respond.
I don't care what you think about me, I'm not here to be your friend, I have enough of them. I was simply correcting wrong information, if you don't like that then don't read my post. Just an FYI, I have been gone all weekend long, you know having a life. I don't care whether you believe me or not.. Just because I have not been here as long as you does not mean I don't know what I am talking about. You know not starting shit.

·
Just Ride
4,044 Posts
Damn, someone's vagina got hurt.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I was simply correcting wrong information, if you don't like that then don't read my post.
You weren`t correcting any wrong information, you just didn`t agree with my post because you don`t understand basic electricity.

Why don`t you explain what is "wrong" about my post?

The amount of amperage that goes to the bike when jumpstarting is determined by the resistance of the bikes battery.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps agree to disagree? I assume the experts warn against jumping from a running vehicle to remove unknowns. Consider that a running vehicle that has a faulty rectifier in the alternator can produce a pretty nasty AC ripple that WILL cause damage to your bikes sensitive electronics. Your own bike can also have the very same fault but introducing another running vehicle in the mix increases the chances of this.

now for the OP, maybe closely inspect your connections at the starter. Make sure they are clean and tight. Feel the cable at each end while trying to start. Heat means loose connection close to the heat or maybe even a failing crimp at the cable connection can cause this…worth a check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts