Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my engine bike been down for 3 months and now i try start for first time just get solenoid click but when test wire from start button that goes to relay only get 9v and and when test green wire from relay to solenoid get 9v but when unplug green wire at solenoid i get normal voltage.

Does this mean solenoid is bad?

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Battery weak or bad. 12.8 volts or better

·
Poser Member # 99
18,144 Posts
Take it to the local auto parts store and have it load tested just to make sure you have a good battery . They normally don't charge to test it with the hopes you buy a new battery from them . It can show charged but has no capacity to do anything .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i meant was at over 13 becuase was on charger till did load test and it dropped to 12
and yes i took off charge when tested

·
Banned
71 Posts
i meant was at over 13 becuase was on charger till did load test and it dropped to 12
When taking a battery off the charger, let it sit for 20 minutes before you try to test it . Fully charged battery is at 12.8 volts , battery will drop 1-2 volts under full load .

You will be time and money ahead to take your fully charged battery to an auto parts store and get it load tested correctly .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Jump start the bike with another vehicle not running. Drive around the block a few times. Shut the engine down and restart. If bike started off a jump then everything is good and battery is suspect not providing a load. If bike starts after driving then battery charged itself as long as alternator and voltage regular are operating normally and are connected. If starter just rattles, again, GET A NEW BATTERY. I've been there and done that so many many times over my 50 years of motorcycle dead battery syndrome. You can not check a load on the battery with just a multimeter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jump start the bike with another vehicle not running. Drive around the block a few times. Shut the engine down and restart. If bike started off a jump then everything is good and battery is suspect not providing a load. If bike starts after driving then battery charged itself as long as alternator and voltage regular are operating normally and are connected. If starter just rattles, again, GET A NEW BATTERY. I've been there and done that so many many times over my 50 years of motorcycle dead battery syndrome. You can not check a load on the battery with just a multimeter.

Ok thanks i will try that after dinner

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
XLRETURNEE I tried jumping off with car not started and no change just get a click from solenoid :(

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Take the battery and get it load tested. Are you sure the motor spins or could it be locked up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take the battery and get it load tested. Are you sure the motor spins or could it be locked up?
i jumped it off car battery and starter just clicks so that should rule out battery and motor isnt locked i had revolution performance in wisc do bottom end and when jump starter motor it spins but while doing that solenoid clicks but doesnt engage starter its not pushing start gear to clutch hub teeth

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
What year and model Sportster ?

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Rebuild the solenoid if you are sure the battery is good.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
The ground wire is loose. disconnect the negative battery cable, both ends, clean and reconnect.
If battery load tests OK then this. Seen a few posts in the past with dirty or loose cables.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I would start by tightening every single bolt on your starters wiring harness all the way up to the battery. Double check that you didn't skip one.

If that leads you nowhere I'd replace the battery. Especially if it's over 3 years old. Draining a battery down to dead is really hard on them. It's probably toast or almost toast. If you don't replace it, the odds are higher that the battery will fail and let you stranded somewhere.

You may not have had a good enough connection with your cars jumper cables to get the bike to turn over. You probably clamped the jumpers to the bolt head and not the battery posts which are made of softer metal. The posts will form to the clamp a little to ensure good connection. Bolts will not.

Good luck getting it running!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts