Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this one is a puzzler. Backround: O3 RK 103 14 grand on the clock. The only recent things done have been the clutch and front brake fluid change (hydraulic clutch). Everything done per the manual, Dot 5. This has happened twice now. When I go to start the bike, with the clutch pulled, in gear, or in neutral, it makes this horrible noise which sounds like missing teeth on a gear. If I don't pull in the clutch and fire her up in neutral, no problem... so far. When I flushed the clutch and changed the fluid, I took it for a test ride, my friction zone seems to have stayed the same, the manual just says to road test the bike. Is it possible there's too much clutch for the starter???

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
A member posted earlier that he had a similar noise and it turned out the comp sprocket took a crap.
Did it do the same thing before the clutch change ?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A member posted earlier that he had a similar noise and it turned out the comp sprocket took a crap.
Did it do the same thing before the clutch change ?
No, its never done this before. Odd part is right after the bike started I shut it off, hit the starter again only didn't pull in the clutch, fired right up no noise. I'm kinda hesitant about trying to duplicate the problem its a nasty noise. Would there be any other symptoms with a comp sprocket going bad? I got a long trip coming up..hopefully.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
You can check the comp without removing the primary cover. Remove the small inspection cover then go in with a pry bar and pry the front sprocket up and down. Stick the pry bar into the sprocket teeth and work it up and down turning it a bit each way. Doing that watch the rotor behind the sprocket, it should move with the sprocket exactly. If the sprocket moves a bit before the rotor does it's a good bet the comp nut is loose.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can check the comp without removing the primary cover. Remove the small inspection cover then go in with a pry bar and pry the front sprocket up and down. Stick the pry bar into the sprocket teeth and work it up and down turning it a bit each way. Doing that watch the rotor behind the sprocket, it should move with the sprocket exactly. If the sprocket moves a bit before the rotor does it's a good bet the comp nut is loose.
Thanks SCHMIDTYS I'll do that.. tried it yesterday, all it did was go boom when I hit the starter, fired so fast the starter didn't have to work too hard. One other thing.. when its done this, the temp dropped down and the bike was much colder than usual...maybe she's just p!ssed off about the cooler weather here and likes her warm garage?? Would a starter clutch do this??

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Well the good news is the comp sprocket is fine. I also cleaned contacts while I was there. Bad news is I can now get it to do it more often. I've got a bike trip coming up, with no time to play with this... I'll be calling Harley or my indy to get this repaired... The noise is coming from the starter, which means the primary cover etc needs to get dropped just to replace a starter.. I won't have time this week....
:cussing

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Agreed. Best to get it checked out before the trip. You don't want to be stranded on the side of the road and have to get towed !!!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or try and find someone to push start an 800 pound bike.. no thanks:rollin

Thanks for the help. Maybe while they are in there I'll get the auto chain tensioner for the primary.

·
Rick
6 Posts
I just got my bikr back a couple of weeks ago, 10 Ultra w/ 45k. My starter was making noise especially when trying to start hot. I mean people would stop and look at me the noise was so bad. Dealer replaced starter and cluch basket, said it was starter clutch. Thank God for extended warranty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts