Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After new jugs and pistons, put it back together and try to start. Hit the starter button and it spun over 5 or 6 rev's. Now I get a single loud click sounds like its coming from the Primary side. Replaced relay, still single click. Should I start with solenoid? Clutch? or go with starter?

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Check the static battery volts, should be no less than 12.8v. Also check that the cables are tight at both ends.

·
Banned
71 Posts
After new jugs and pistons, put it back together and try to start. Hit the starter button and it spun over 5 or 6 rev's. Now I get a single loud click sounds like its coming from the Primary side. Replaced relay, still single click. Should I start with solenoid? Clutch? or go with starter?
Look at battery and battery connections first . :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery reads 12.73 after sitting for a couple hours. I guess I'll start with a new battery. Stick with H-D or other brand?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
First load test the battery. A theoretical full charge is 12.6v, but after a good charge cycle it will read between 13.1 and 13.6v and will hold it for quite some time.

Also check that the pistons are moving freely. Remove the spark plugs, put the bike in highest gear and jack the rear wheel up. Should spin fairly easily.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
I used to get this click that sounded like it was coming from the primary. My issue was dirty and loose battery terminals. I cleaned them up real good and hit it with some di-electric grease. No more clicking!

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Profile states '02 Road King.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terminals are good. Connections are tight. Spun for 5 or 6 revolutions, stopped to pull out choke. Hit starter button and...click. Battery is at 12.75 volts. Thinking starter. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Terminals are good. Connections are tight. Spun for 5 or 6 revolutions, stopped to pull out choke. Hit starter button and...click. Battery is at 12.75 volts. Thinking starter. Any suggestions?
What is the bat voltage after you try starting and while starting? How old is battery? Get battery load checked at reputable place, dealer, takes about 20-30 mins to complete the rest. Do that before you start throwing parts at it. Good Luck

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
What is the bat voltage after you try starting and while starting? How old is battery? Get battery load checked at reputable place, dealer, takes about 20-30 mins to complete the rest. Do that before you start throwing parts at it. Good Luck
Yup. Always try the cheap and easy stuff first. At this point it still could be a battery that can not provide enough current under load, or the starter motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all you who said battery, battery, battery, THANKS! Voltage UNDER LOAD dropped to 8 volts! Talk about a DOH! moment. New battery, away she goes. Thanks again!!!!

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts