Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out why pinion gear on starter does not seem to be engaging clutch ring gear properly. All tests show solenoid and starter seem to be working. Have 2 starters in hand, new one and an old one, they both check out.
Any ideas out there?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,151 Posts
Was it the right starter to begin with. Is starter seating flat on housing. Is there a dirt build up on bottom of starter opening. Was it shimmed to run in straight into main ring and now are you missing the shim. Do you have a bad bearing on clutch Basket asm

just had to Ask :think

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you can shim the starter! It is my buddies bike, that was my suggestion( shimming), but he said there was no shim in it when he pulled it apart. Is it a special shim for this application?

·
Retired citizen
22,074 Posts
Try moving the primary cover around with the screws loosened up. You can do that without loosing any fluid. Just loosen each screw about one turn then tap on the cover with a soft faced mallet. Get the screws just loose enough until the cover moves. Move the cover up, down, left and right while trying the starter. When the pinion gear engages the ring gear tighten the screws back up. This method works sometimes, I've done it !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the starter can be shimmed! it is my buddies bike, is there a special shim for this application? he said there was never 1 there. I Hope so,so I can make him eat dirt!!
HAHAHA

·
Retired citizen
22,074 Posts
The starter parts break down at Ronnies H-D website doesn't show a shim for that year starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts