Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 super glide, the starter spins, at least it sound like it is spending but it is not turning over the motor,after taking off the primary cover i can see that the jackshaft is engaging into the starter ring, but it is not turning, could it be the starter clutch,or replace the whole starter?

·
Registered
40,746 Posts
I vote for the starter clutch.

·
Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Does the battery have a full charge? Cables clean and tight? Are the connections at the starter clean and tight?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Starter clutch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First thing I'd check is the solonoid plunger. Smoetimes the copper washer gets pitted & burned from electrical contact and starts kicking in & out making a horrible clashing, then eventually just makes a whirring noise. I simply freshen it up by applying some valve lapping compound and spinning it with a drill.
Removing it is the fun part, you have to dissassemble the entire LEFT side of the bike to remove the jackshaft bolt in order to remove the starter that you can't even see, from the RIGHT side of the bike.
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
I fought starter problems for more than a year... replaced the jackshaft assembly, bought a starter rebuild kit, new battery....

replaced the starter and the problems went away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next question, HD wants $118.00 for a oem clutch, that comes with the output shaft,but a after market clutch with out the output shaft is $54.00, any suggestions?

·
Registered
40,746 Posts
Stick with HD on that part.

·
Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing as the original post. I pulled it all done last night. Seems to me a new starter is about as cheap as just the clutch?

·
Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
So I got a starter clutch, install it and the stupid thing only extends sporadically. I took the clutch back out, put my old one in, took it to the local indie shop where it will be sent out and rebuilt for $125 with a 90 day waranty. Should have it back by Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Got it back last night. Slapped it on. Been riding today with no starting problems. Rebuilt for $125 was the way to go. Anyone want a new starter clutch cheap?

·
_-FEARLESS-_
3,893 Posts
That is a good price!
I just replaced my started for $600!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts