Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im pretty sure my starter clutch is out .... would it bee better jsut to replace the entire starter and if so does it matter on the "KW" power ... like 1.2,1.4 and 2.0 ??

·
Retired citizen
23,211 Posts
To replace the over run clutch the starter has to be removed and dis-assembled. Either way the starter has to be removed so it adds up to how much you want to spend. A 1.4kw would be a nice upgrade over the stocker.

·
Registered
38,976 Posts
1.4 KW starter uses the same exact starter clutch as the stock one, so if that is the problem you're not gaining much by getting the SE starter.

I suspect the 2 KW starter uses the non HD starter clutch (Toyota etc) which are supposed to be stronger than stock.

Buy why buy the cow if all you need is a quart of milk?

Also worth noting is that the same starter clutch is used in both stock HD starters, and the "Hi Torque" starters. Like Schmidty says, the starter clutch is the weak link.

The Toyota part is stronger than the HD part, so if you're gonna pull the starter yourself, may as well get the stronger Toyota starter clutch for less money.

HD PN# 31681-07
Starter Clutch for 2007+ and 2006 Dyna with bearings

http://www.usautoelectric.com/store-products-028301-0761-Denso-OEM-Starter-Drive,-for-Harley-----------028301-0761_1097833993.html

HD PN# 31663-90
Starter Clutch for 1990 - 2006 (except 2006 Dyna) with bearings

http://www.usautoelectric.com/store-products-52022B-HARLEY-DAVIDSON---STARTER-CLUTCH-DRIVE-WITH-BEARINGS-HEAVY-DUTY_41715456.html

·
Retired citizen
23,211 Posts
Hard enough ! If you don't have experience wrenching on Harleys I suggest taking your '95 Heritage to a pro mechanic.
Without going into fine detail, the primary gets removed then the battery. The oil tank gets partially removed then the starter gets disconnected and removed. The starter end cover comes off, the clutch gets removed and replaced then everything gets put back together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my starter pulled out of my 2000 dyna T sport. The starter clutch has gone bad. I Bought a new drag specialties starter clutch to replace it. How do I take. The old clutch out and put the new one in? Don't want to do any damage. I have the starter pulled apart and the old clutch seems to be pressed in there. What's the proper way to get it out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts