Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced all the primary gaskets and seals. Put all back togeither and went to start it and starter spins. Opened primary back open. Hit starter and the gear isn't turning. But shift is. What the hell did I forget. Thanks

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Year bike and model would help. Battery fully charged?

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Let me see if I understand what's happening.
The starter motor spins, the gear (pinion) shifts out but the gear doesn't spin ?

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
One and done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me see if I understand what's happening.
The starter motor spins, the gear (pinion) shifts out but the gear doesn't spin ?
Correct. My son put it togeither and I wasn't there. I'm sure he may have not done it correctly lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2009 cvo fat bob and what you have is a problem with the starter clutch; I had something like that, it cost me around $100.00 for a All Balls starter clutch, haven't had a problem since; If that don't work you may need a new starter because the motor may be shot. "Hope that helps and Be Safe!

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Did your son remove the starter during the disassembly ? If the primary was off and the starter was out at the same time then installing those components may have missed the starter coupler in the process. That coupler might be laying down on top of the drive belt ! Take a look for loose parts laying around !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did your son remove the starter during the disassembly ? If the primary was off and the starter was out at the same time then installing those components may have missed the starter coupler in the process. That coupler might be laying down on top of the drive belt ! Take a look for loose parts laying around !
Thanks. And he didn't tighten up the bolt. Lmao

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2009 cvo fat bob and what you have is a problem with the starter clutch; I had something like that, it cost me around $100.00 for a All Balls starter clutch, haven't had a problem since; If that don't work you may need a new starter because the motor may be shot. "Hope that helps and Be Safe!
Thanks. But lucky it was just dumbass error.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Bike is starting fine now!! But. Lol. While riding it is fine until u get on it and it is hesitating. Like ur pulling in the clutch. Could this be the clutch isn't adjusted right
Yes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts