Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing my mind!!! '99 Fatboy, new All Balls starter, like 20 miles new, brand new jackshaft assembly, and took the battery to the local Auto Zone and it checked out good. Here's the mindf**$...I get the bike to fire up, all's well, then if I stop somewhere and try to start it back up, just a spinning/whirring sound. If I get back into the primary and press 'start', the pinion gear 'dances' just above the starter ring gear, slightly touching it, but not engaging because the pinion is sliding out of the coupling, therefore the splines are doing their thing. I then get the pinion back into where its supposed to go, close everything back up, and again, get ONE good start, then the next attempt, back to square one. I've searched high and low and have asked countless people and no one seems to know why. The bolt is in, lock tab up. However, could it be related to the starter shaft oil seal which hasn't been replaced in who knows how long, since I bought the bike a few months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I just wanna RIIIIIDE!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update, discovered that the hole where the jackshaft goes into on the outer primary cover, is rounded out on the inside. When compared to a new cover, there's "steps" where it looks like the pinion gear will bottom out on, as opposed too coming out of the coupling too far and not going back in

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.