Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that on my 07 softail, that when the engine is cold, when I start the engine - and then pull in the clutch - and then shift into first, it usually "clunks"

Once the engine is warm, when I start the bike, it will usually shift to first gear without a clunk at all.

I have checked my clutch adjustment, and it's set right.

I notice if I pull in the clutch (neutral) before starting the bike, I can shift into first gear without a clunk...

I've begun always pulling in the clutch before starting the bike - I <hope> will actually end up reducing wear on the 1st gear syncros and gear teeth...

any thoughts?

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Clunk is like a harley trademark... But you prob notice it because primary fluid is not warm yet. As it heats up it gets thinner and smoother.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clunk is like a harley trademark... But you prob notice it because primary fluid is not warm yet. As it heats up it gets thinner and smoother.
yes exactly, but isn't it better on the transmission (less wear) to try and avoid the clunk?

I have always had "the clunk" even on my old metrics... but they didn't usually warm up/thin out fluid or the clutch didn't release enough to ever avoid the clunk.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I have never had a harley that didn't have the clunk.. No matter what the engine/primary temps were. I don't think you'll ave any problems.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
My 06RK won't start unless the clutch is pulled in.
Do you usually start the bike in gear? The newer bikes won't start in gear unless you have the clutch lever pulled in. Keeps you from hitting the start button and the bike jumping on ya! :)

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
sounds normal to me. viscosity changes with temp

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
yes exactly, but isn't it better on the transmission (less wear) to try and avoid the clunk?
Take apart a transmission that has been clunking for 100 thousand miles, it will look fine. Don`t worry about the clunk.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
I've begun always pulling in the clutch before starting the bike - I <hope> will actually end up reducing wear on the 1st gear syncros and gear teeth...

any thoughts?

What synchros? :think

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Do you usually start the bike in gear? The newer bikes won't start in gear unless you have the clutch lever pulled in. Keeps you from hitting the start button and the bike jumping on ya! :)
I usually start in neutral. But it makes no difference. No clutch, it will not spin over. My straight drive car and truck is the same way.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I don't think you're hurting it either way.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Start mine in neutral, let it run while putting helmet & gloves on. Disengage clutch, roll out to curb, rev engine up a little. Returns to idle speed, just falls into gear no clunk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts