Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Outlaw
560 Posts
Sometimes I use neutral, sometimes I don't. It's usually in gear when I park it, if waiting for a train or just sitting idle I turn the key to the off position.

Do I have any problem finding neutral, absolutely not, but I do not like being forced to find neutral to start MY bike. It's a matter of my own personal taste and style of riding that predates the Evo, not to mention little green lights. Todays bikes are much more reliable, and do have that little green light, some even have a display to tell you what gear your in. If the day comes that I am senile enough to not know what gear I'm in I'll quit riding, until then I just want the basics, and will ride it how I see fit. The only exception would be if they came out with a bike with a intuitive A/C system to keep you at a cool 72 degrees while riding on a 110 degree day, then and only then would I embrace the new stuff. LMAO

·
Registered
847 Posts
That’s a known problem, they need to replace the clutch switch pack. I had to have it done on my ‘17 FLHXS, and it’s a warranty repair so no,stress. I’m not getting into the 1st gear or Neutral start debate, - that’s up to you LOL!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Having bought our 2018 triglide trike back in April 2018 and never even sitting on one let alone riding it , when I picked it up the dealer explained about having to put it in neutral before it would start .
Owning 3 previous Harley's that was possible to start just so long as the clutch was depressed so far I have only stalled the trike once in the first few days of ownership and that was at traffic lights just as it turned green to go ,caused a bit of a flutter and panic until I found Neutral and a few pissed off drivers behind me ...

Wish there was a way to get rid of that Neutral only start option , could really be in a dangerous situation because of it

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Having bought our 2018 triglide trike back in April 2018 and never even sitting on one let alone riding it , when I picked it up the dealer explained about having to put it in neutral before it would start .
Owning 3 previous Harley's that was possible to start just so long as the clutch was depressed so far I have only stalled the trike once in the first few days of ownership and that was at traffic lights just as it turned green to go ,caused a bit of a flutter and panic until I found Neutral and a few pissed off drivers behind me ...

Wish there was a way to get rid of that Neutral only start option , could really be in a dangerous situation because of it

So Trikes only have to be started in neutral, but 2 wheeler's can be started in gear? Providing the clutch switch doesn't fail, that is. Why? :dunno

·
Registered
10,666 Posts

Hard to believe your trike MUST be in neutral to start. Yes, I agree, that could be sometimes a bad situation. And the dealer "explained" that to you. Well, we all know the info you get from your dealer ain't always necessarily so. Does your owner's manual say it will ONLY start in neutral?

·
Head Deplorable
958 Posts
My '17 Ultra does the same thing. If I disengage the clutch a few times it will usually start. It's just easier to start it in neutral until I get the switch replaced.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
My '17 Ultra does the same thing. If I disengage the clutch a few times it will usually start. It's just easier to start it in neutral until I get the switch replaced.
Same thing here on my 2004 Ultra. The dang N light has a mind of it's own. Got used to it though. No big deal and I always park in gear!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hard to believe your trike MUST be in neutral to start. Yes, I agree, that could be sometimes a bad situation. And the dealer "explained" that to you. Well, we all know the info you get from your dealer ain't always necessarily so. Does your owner's manual say it will ONLY start in neutral?
Yes I have even tried to start it out of Neutral and on another note the Reverse on the Trike you have got to have the foot brake engaged before the light will turn on R so you cant even reverse until then that also causes issues if your trying to back up for parking purposes .
I dont see why Harley have put that option to reverse the Trike

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ok what about this if your on a hill and your bike dies for what ever reason then you have to find neutral to restart the bike now we all should be able to do that only seems like big pain hold brake balance on incline maybe with 2 up and your lol asking what you let the bike die for (not so bad on trike) I don't have a HD trike but all my bikes will start either in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in which I think is the way it should be

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok what about this if your on a hill and your bike dies for what ever reason then you have to find neutral to restart the bike now we all should be able to do that only seems like big pain hold brake balance on incline maybe with 2 up and your lol asking what you let the bike die for (not so bad on trike) I don't have a HD trike but all my bikes will start either in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in which I think is the way it should be
I agree this is the way it should be , but the moco decided that it was safer on a Tri - Glide to have the brake on to start it in gear my 16 Tri is this way, my Road King starts in gear no problem with just the clutch in.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think the tri is that way because in neutral and no brake applied a trike is more likely to roll where a bike with two feet on the ground is not. My 14 limited will start in gear on a cold day, but my battery doesn't like spinning the extra clutch friction with cold oil. I might leave it in gear when I get off of her but usually hunt for neutral before starting.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well I gave it a go and it worked just as you said ======In order to start a tri-glide in gear the clutch needs to be pulled in and the brake pedal needs to be depressed you can also use the front brake or both. It's in the owners manual , don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
picked up a 2019 Tri Glide a few weeks ago and have noticed that the only way to start it is in neutral. I have called the dealer and they said it is a known problem and something will need to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have a '15 Tri Glide. Had the same problem, then was told that trikes can be start in gear, but you not only have to have the clutch pulled in, but also have to have the brake on. Doesn't matter whether it"s the foot or front hand brake. I tried this and it has started in gear everytime. I discovered later that it was also noted in owners manual. Don't remember where. Try it, it works.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Yesterday as the HOG group was leaving for the lunch ride, a new trike wouldn't start. I asked Bob if it was in neutral as nothing except the hazard flashers worked. He said the neutral light was on. He was asked several times if he was in neutral. I asked him to just jiggle the shifter. He finally did. Problem solved.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts