Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Heritage, 28K miles. Just had Stage 1 completed with a Ness Big Sucker and the factory DL. I noticed a few weeks ago I had a kickback and a loud noise like the starter wasnt fully engaged and started grinding a bit. It the started on second try. I didnt pay much attention to it at that point, but the last few days it has got worse. Its happening a bit more often, especially when hot. Also, it seems like the bike has to turn over a few times before firing making it even worse. I have only owned this bike a few days over a month so I am going to take it back to the dealer and hope he works with me since it had a 30 day warranty that is now up. Is this likely to be a compensator problem or something else? Just wondering what to expect, and really hoping the dealer helps me out since Im only 10 days past. Thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,083 Posts
Could be battery volts. Check across the terminals with a volt meter with the engine off, should measure 12.8v or more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that I have noticed is that if I just start the bike immediately after turning the run switch on is that it starts much better then if I wait for the pump to prime the lines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out to be the compensator. Just had the SE Comp installed and the problem is gone. This is what I had a feeling it was all along, wish someone would of listened sooner and I would of had my bike back a few days sooner, but it was under a warranty from the dealer I purchased it from so all I paid was the difference in cost from the oem comp to the SE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts