Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Road King with 95" long block 204 cam kit. Otherwise the bike is bone stock including the pipes.

Turn ignition on, Run switch on. Hit start button. Nothing happens for 2-3 seconds then it fires right up.
My concern is that 2-3 second delay.
Bike has 250,000 miles on it and things are rapidly deteriorating.
Starter has been replaced as well as the start relay. Wiring and connectors been checked and cleaned.
Battery, fully charged, shows 304 CCA at 12.6 volts at the local Autozone. The battery is about 4 years old, is a DEKA ETX30L which is rated at 400 CCA

The problem only occurs after bike has been sitting for a spell. Once it starts, I can turn it off and attempt restart and it fires right up. Could the 304 CCA rating be a problem with the 95" engine/304 cams?

What else could it be? It is difficult to diagnose since I only get one chance at it before the symptoms disappear.

Incidentally the starter and relay were replaced for other reasons.

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
Try this ... Ignition switch on then cycle the ignition kill switch on and off 3 times ( eng. light) before doing a cold start then report back what happened. You're listening for the fuel pump to start and stop 3 times during the process.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I doubt that autozone has the ability to test CCA, which is cold cranking amps or how much current the battery can supply when it is at 0 degrees F. Did they bring the battery down to 0 degrees and let it temp soak? They probably measured it's current ability under load and somehow (don't know how it's possible) calculated CCA. Regardless if it's a 4 year old battery and CCA is down by 25% I would suspect that battery is shot

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Things are going bad faster than I can get parts to fix them.
I know my Fuel pressure is bad. It will pump up to 58 psi but drop off rapidly once the initial surge. Once started it maintains 58 psi. I have been having fuel pressure and fuel gauge issues for some time and fixing lots of things inside the tank but things keep breaking so I have a complete sending unit on order. Covid-19 is slowing up the distribution process however so God knows when it will get here.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt that autozone has the ability to test CCA, which is cold cranking amps or how much current the battery can supply when it is at 0 degrees F. Did they bring the battery down to 0 degrees and let it temp soak? They probably measured it's current ability under load and somehow (don't know how it's possible) calculated CCA. Regardless if it's a 4 year old battery and CCA is down by 25% I would suspect that battery is shot
Autozone, Advanced, O'Reilys all have electronic instruments that will test the battery and report results. No need to have it at 0° F for what it is. I never see 0° F where I live. So mute point.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Mute Point? Ok, well you quoted the battery's CCA, which by definition is done at 0 degrees F hence the Cold part of Cold Cranking Amps. Not my definition. CCA and output under load are two different things. What autozone, Advanced, etc does is measure the battery voltage under a load (current draw). While under a load, if the voltage drops excessively then the battery is toast. CCA has nothing to do with battery condition, its a marketing ploy to sell you a battery. That spec is to show you how efficient the battery is when it is cold because cold kills a battery's ability to provide power. So a battery rated at 400 CCA that is only capable of 300 CCA has lost 25% of its efficiency and is on its way to the recycle pile.

Don't take my word for it, look here: BU-902a: How to Measure CCA – Battery University

So CCA, well that's a moot point.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
Make sure the ground cable has a good , clean, solid connection to the frame.
The size of the battery won't matter if it isn't hooked up on both ends.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Here is some basic electronics. The OEM starter on your bike is I think rated 1.2 kW, or 1200 Watts. Watts is power expressed in the formula P= I X E or Power (Watts)= Current X Voltage. Solve for current we have I =P/E or current = power divided by voltage. So considering a 12 volt system (its not actually 12 volts but that makes the math easy) current = 1200 Watts divided by 12 Volts, or 100 Amps. So to operate your starter the battery must supply 100 Amps to spin your starter. That's a chunk of current. Now the battery for your bike may be rated at somewhere around 25 A/hr meaning 25 Amps for one hour, or 12.5 Amps for 2 hours, or 100 Amps for 15 minutes.

If the battery is weak, but not dead, it might not supply enough power to spin your starter. But current is still flowing thru the windings in the starter, heating up the wires and connections. As these components heat their resistance to current will decrease pulling more current from the battery creating more power and she starts spinning. Not a good thing to happen to your starter components as more than the usual amount of current is flowing thru them. Especially depending on crank position and other variables. If its just before TDC its when the starter has to work the hardest and is under the most load.

So that could be why you are having a delay before starter. Classic indication of a battery on its way out. Four years plus or minus is around the time motorcycle batteries start having trouble.

I have too much time on my hands.

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
That delay could be caused from pitted contacts inside the starter solenoid. Pop the cover off and have a look see after first disconnecting the battery negative cable.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up new battery today. Have it on the tender now to get it fully charged. Can't test it out because I do not have any guts inside my fuel tank just now. Because of other issues I am rebuilding the fuel tank innards. Hope to have that done in the next few days.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well all is back to normal.
4 year old Deka Battery tested at 300 CCA. It should have tested at +400 CCA so I replaced it.
Gas tank insides keep deteriorating so I replaced the entire unit. Also replaced the Check valve which was leaking.
Just a combination of things that I have been neglecting and it finally caught up with me.

At any rate I am a happy camper. Now what will fail next?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^^ Sounds like the battle I have been fighting with my lawnmower. Time to ride dood!

Reactions: Smoketown$1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts