Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96' super glide sometimes when i try to start it i get one click everytime i hit the start button. i checked the battery im getting a 12.45 reading. i can put a set of jumper cables on it and immediatly hit the start button and itll fire right up every time. im guessing maybe soleniod/starter relay or something any help would be great thanx

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I would start with the ground cable at the motor to see if it is tight. Ya gotta start somewhere. With that reading of 12.45, what does it drop to when you try to start it?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Charge the battery and have it load tested. If it is good, you need to perform a charging system test.

Don`t start guessing and buying parts...

Once you have the battery tested, post the results.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I've never load tested a battery. A meter has always told me which way to go. If the meter doesn't drop much it would be a bad connection or in the starting system. A drastic drop on the meter and starter clicking would lead me to the battery. Just my opinion, what do I know

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've never load tested a battery. A meter has always told me which way to go. If the meter doesn't drop much it would be a bad connection or in the starting system. A drastic drop on the meter and starter clicking would lead me to the battery. Just my opinion, what do I know
Why guess when you can troubleshoot?

A load test doesn`t cost anything, and it is a sure way to know if the battery still has the balls to do it`s job.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Why guess when you can troubleshoot?

A load test doesn`t cost anything, and it is a sure way to know if the battery still has the balls to do it`s job.
An analog meter would tell me if there was a battery issue or not. To me that is not guessing. If the meter drops to 8 volts and the solenoid is clicking when trying to start it. Then maybe I should load test it. Agreed. If the meter stays around 11 - 12 volts and the solenoid is clicking. I myself would be looking elsewhere. Maybe I have just been lucky all this time.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
How old is the battery. Volts dont really relate to battery capacity or strength. Its the amps under a load that shows the battery strength. I got 2007 VW Jetta with original battery. It shows 12.6 volts all day long and might drop to 10 volts to start the car but the 8 year old battery wont keep a charge if it sets 24 hours. Since I don't drive the car but once a week or less during the summer, I just unhook the battery for now but I'm going to have to get a new battery before fall.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
An analog meter would tell me if there was a battery issue or not. To me that is not guessing. If the meter drops to 8 volts and the solenoid is clicking when trying to start it. Then maybe I should load test it. Agreed. If the meter stays around 11 - 12 volts and the solenoid is clicking. I myself would be looking elsewhere. Maybe I have just been lucky all this time.
However you do it is fine with me.

But I suggest that the op get the battery load tested...

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I'm not saying I am right and Da_Mack makes a good point about amps. I just feel a volt meter can tell me which way to go. I am not a mechanic. Just my opinion

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I'm not saying I am right and Da_Mack makes a good point about amps. I just feel a volt meter can tell me which way to go. I am not a mechanic. Just my opinion
Its part of doing your own wrenching on your vehicles. I hate electrical problems and when it involves electronics and computers, I'd rather just shoot the car in the hood or roll the bike into the creek.

Start with the cheap fix and go from there. If I get stumped after trying one or two things, I'll read some online and then re think the problem after a few days. Most problems I've had turned out to be simple issues but it took some trial and error and $$ to find the right fix.

Thats why we're all here on this here interweb site...right?

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Its part of doing your own wrenching on your vehicles. I hate electrical problems and when it involves electronics and computers, I'd rather just shoot the car in the hood or roll the bike into the creek.

Start with the cheap fix and go from there. If I get stumped after trying one or two things, I'll read some online and then re think the problem after a few days. Most problems I've had turned out to be simple issues but it took some trial and error and $$ to find the right fix.

Thats why we're all here on this here interweb site...right?
Agreed. I could not have said it better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would check the wires for a good connection first Then I would check the volt meter on the bike if its has one should be reading about 14.5 And if that check out or not my next step would be to go to Advance auto or Auto zone and have the battery check for volts and amps And if all fails you might need to go to the dealer

·
Just Ride
3,749 Posts
We got a one and done, without an intro and someone else without a bike helping. Battery weak, jump start suggest that. Load test and then replace it. We'll never know, op won't be back. If he does, it will be to tell us it was the battery. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 96' super glide sometimes when i try to start it i get one click everytime i hit the start button. i checked the battery im getting a 12.45 reading. i can put a set of jumper cables on it and immediatly hit the start button and itll fire right up every time. im guessing maybe soleniod/starter relay or something any help would be great thanx
A charged battery has a reading of 12.6 -12.8. If it doesn't hold to that reading replace it,problem solved

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts