Harley Davidson Forums banner

Starting issues

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  a1347 
Change that process around just a little, remember... the negative should always be disconnected before touching the positive cable.

When reinstalling, always connect the positive first, then connect the negative.

When working around any battery, you should never touch a wrench to a positive terminal unless the negative is disconnected.

I am going to trickle charge new battery tonight and see if that helps. If not I guess I have to assume the solenoid or starter is faulty. What else can be wrong?
Never assume the starter is bad-they almost never are bad.

Troubleshoot and be certain.

Since you describe a single loud click, it sounds like the solenoid is operating, but the power is not going to the starter. This could be from a weak battery, a bad cable, or bad electrical contact inside the starter solenoid.

Do a few voltage drop tests.

To test the positive side:

Touch positive voltmeter probe to positive battery post (not terminal).

Touch negative voltmeter probe to the starter solenoid post (battery cable side), press starter button and read the voltage.

Do this same test at the other solenoid post and the small terminal on the solenoid.

You should read less than .5 volt at each location.

Test the ground side:

Touch the voltmeter negative probe to the negative battery post.

Touch the positive voltmeter probe to the starter body, when pressing the starter button you should read zero voltage.

Your problem is intermittent, so of course, this test will only be accurate if it is done when the problem is occurring.

Charge that battery and have it load tested. It is not uncommon to get a new battery that is no good.

After a few tries it takes a lot out of the battery and about an hour to bring back to top off.

If it is getting weak after only a few tries, you need to charge it fully and have it load tested.

Do you have a voltmeter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.