Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Resolved - Starting my FLHR with the primary cover off

Hello,

Just installed a new stator and flywheel.

Would like to test the output while the bike is running at idle just long enough to make sure output is good before closing it up.

Right now the primary cover is off, clutch and clutch drive chain is out so nothings in there but the stator, flywheel and compensator assembly.

Will anything bad happen if I start it for about 10 to 15 seconds like this?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You changed an alternator rotor, not a flywheel.

You already have the compensator installed, but the clutch and primary chain are not installed yet?

They should be removed and installed simultaneously, because on most models you can`t get them on or off separately.

As far as starting the engine with the clutch and primary chain not installed:

Breeze covered it...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,109 Posts
Brainfade ... happens to all of us :)
Its okay to forget where you left your keys, its time to worry when you have em in your hand and you don' t know what they are for.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,109 Posts
Looked for my glasses for 15 minutes..........they were on my head . :eek
Got all pizzed off I lost a tool, went through the garage, tool box, assorted other places... then put my hand in my pocket.......sneaky [email protected], ran and hid there. :what?

·
Retired citizen
22,896 Posts
Take the old rotor and weld a handle onto it then install it onto the crank shaft and crank it over like an old Model T !
Be careful of the handle spinning around after the engine starts.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I'm suprised some smartazz here didn't tell him he would have to push start it. Just to be mean.

--

·
Super Moderator
12,659 Posts
3 things to remember,

1. Don't leave your stepped delrin block used to lock the chain, inside the primary when you put the cover on. It makes an awful racket, it really should be safety orange.

2. Don't use the starter because it needs the primary cover as support.

3. When it starts, oil is going freaking everywhere if the cover is off.

·
Retired citizen
22,896 Posts
3 things to remember,

1. Don't leave your stepped delrin block used to lock the chain, inside the primary when you put the cover on. It makes an awful racket, it really should be safety orange.

2. Don't use the starter because it needs the primary cover as support.

3. When it starts, oil is going freaking everywhere if the cover is off.
Hee, Hee, Hee !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts