Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old friend of mine who I have known since high school told me he got something called a deed poll??? to change his name and start new life, has not and will not tell anyone But his only family member left his brother and me..

I guess he found out a while back that his gal and her son have been stealing whatever they could from him and according to him....plottin"against him ??? whatever that means he didn't say!!

He had bought a house and moved them in (sons in his 20's) and put her name on a lot of things including house.

He said he thinks she is going to try and take everything over and move her ex in when he gets his disabilty back pay and his checks start rolling in!

I said I thought it was crazy idea, but he's going to change his name and bolt the situation. He said they will bother him for ever if he doesn't and he wants to see the house of cards fall!!

He said no way will they be able to keep up payments on house and cars and her sons caddy she bought by tacking it on house loan and everything will fall apart!!

I said he should just tell them he wants to split, I think he's got some kinda fantasy about watching them fall apart.....I think he caught her cheatin" or something.

Soap opera at its best, I hate to see him do it, but on the other hand might be fun to see what happens!!

He's said once he splits and changes name no body will ever see him again???

Anyone ever hear of anyone just up rootin and throwin" everything away and never seen again???:what?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have known of a few people to do that. My father was extreamly tired of alot of shit going on around hime then a tornado took out his house. After the settlement check came in he moved clear on the other side of the state and now I am the only one he comunicates with. He doesn't call his siblings, his parent or his daughter (of course these were all people he was tired of dealing with due to lies and drama). I am the only one that knows where he lives or talk to him on a regular basis.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'm not sure I see the point in changing his name. He can't change his SS# and must associate his new name with it (unless he plans to live off the grid completely.)

So, if someone really wants to find him, they will. If they don't care where he is, his name isn't going to matter.

Otherwise, why not. It's a free country.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Seems like it would be easier to just get rid of his problem legally and move on with his life.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm not sure I see the point in changing his name. He can't change his SS# and must associate his new name with it (unless he plans to live off the grid completely.)

So, if someone really wants to find him, they will. If they don't care where he is, his name isn't going to matter.

Otherwise, why not. It's a free country.
Name change?? in todays world with the internet doesn't seem like it would be hard to track someone down if you really wanted too.

When I was in late teen and early 20's I moved all over the place and relocate at the drop of a hat.....go to work one mourning and that evening movin" on down the road to a new place!!

Had some rough times but I wouldn't change a thing..not my name at least!!:what?

·
Registered
341 Posts
if the house goes into bankruptcy, both people have to sign-off on it. if it goes to sheriff's sale. either way their credit WILL be messed up for 10 years.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
I'm not an attorney, but he definitely needs one before he does anything.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Legally, he cannot change his name without notifying any other parties that he shares ownership of property with. So, since it sounds like her name is on things, he'd have to notify her of the change. You can't just change your name and walk away from joint debt and stick the other person with the whole thing, it just doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know the whole situation, this guy and his brother inherited large farm and trucking business and have plenty of money!

Name change sounded crazy to me!!

I think he wants out of the situation without giving anymore cash or anything to these people he's dealing with!!

This guy and his brother worked full time back since high school and they are kinda bookworms...I'm sure they are smart to the law and rules of banking.....just not street smart....at all!!!:laugh

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I think your old friend has been reading to many of those websites that say things like income tax is illegal and you don't have to pay it.

From Wikipedia: A deed poll (plural: deeds poll) is a legal document binding only to a single person or several persons acting jointly to express an active intention. It is, strictly speaking, not a contract because it binds only one party and expresses an intention instead of a promise.

Deed poll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there is no reference in it to being used in the US. It seems to be a British Common Wealth thing.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he's just wants to run away from the situation he's got himself into and not face it like he should...regardless of his name changin" disappearing act plans !!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I say he's a friend mainly cause we're froma small town and went to high school with him and we had maybe 25 kids in our age group!

His brother and him were adopted by a well off couple and had aunts and uncle die off and leave them a lot of property and stuff!

I would say they are both a little nuts!!:)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
With all seriousness aside, I became fed up with it, so I changed my name to Hans Danner Blaus. Before that, I was legally known as Styles Bitchly. The OL sent me to the store for a loaf of bread, and I called her three days later from a bar in Montana. Then I just rode off into the sunset on my Harley. The only person that knows where I am is a midget rodeo clown that bought me a beer in Montana.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts