Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 ultra classic and when I start it sometimes the starter drags and doesn't fully engage. Pulled battery and fully charged it reinstalled and fires right up. Better than it does when the starter doesn't drag. Started 3 times then rode for about 30 minutes to get home and the starter was not fully engaging again. Could this still be the battery?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Yes, fully charge and have it load tested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did 2 load tests. The first to remove surface charge the second to get a real load test. Passed load test but only would recover to 12.5 to 12.6 volts. Hook battery tender up and let charge for several hours and starts great.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 and half years old. Did notice my voltage gauge drop the around 13 volts a couple times at idle then when I took off went back to 14 and the next time at idle stayed at 14.

·
245 Posts
Check and clean the ground on the battery cable. I think it goes to the front starter bolt. A loose ground will also cause a loss in voltage.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
AT 4 + years, you are due a new battery. While in there, check the charging system and all cables and connections.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a weak/marginal battery. But I never replace a battery without running an amp draw test on the starter. That is, after checking both ends of both battery cables for clean and tight connections. Especially the ground terminal at the frame near the starter.

--

1 - 9 of 9 Posts