Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new here so ill do my best. i have a 1976 fxe with a starting problem. all im getting is a rapid clicking at the starter relay. i have cleaned every wire at the battery and the solenoid, also i tryed jumping the bike from my truck no differance. battery says 12.96 volts on the meter. lights are bright looks like plenty of juice. i did a solenoid test with the battery out of the bike and got the solenoid to engage. im now guessing that maybe i have a bad starter? if anyone has any other test i can try that would really be great. thanks petrieboy

·
Just Ride
4,018 Posts
Jump the two main posts on solenoid with battery connected. If it doesn't spin then starter bad.

Reactions: SoftailBilly

·
Just Ride
4,018 Posts
He bypassed the relay by jumping the solenoid. Don't throw parts when you eliminated them.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Before you spend money, do the simple cheap stuff first:

Have the battery load tested.

Remove the battery cables and clean all the connection surfaces.

Clean the terminals at the relay and solenoid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Didn't throw parts at it, said to check relay. There are 2 solenoids in start system. One under battery and one on primary. I have found several bikes with a bad relay solenoid. Don't cost anything to test it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Didn't throw parts at it, said to check relay. There are 2 solenoids in start system. One under battery and one on primary. I have found several bikes with a bad relay solenoid. Don't cost anything to test it.
The starter solenoid is on the primary cover, the starter relay is under the battery box (it is not a solenoid).

It appears that the OP is not going to do any troubleshooting...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The starter solenoid is on the primary cover, the starter relay is under the battery box (it is not a solenoid).

It appears that the OP is not going to do any troubleshooting...
if the op is me then you didnt read my origanal post i checked the starter relay, i checked the solenoid i charged the battery. i jumped out the solenoid and nothing at the starter. only thing i see not working is the starter. is that not trouble shooting?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I must have missed the part where you did any of the easy, simple, cheap things that I mentioned in post # 7...

People are quick to tell you what parts to replace with your money....

I`m just trying to help you determine what the issue is before pulling out your wallet.

Charging the battery is no help if the battery cannot pass a load test.

You jumped the solenoid, but..... Do you know if the solenoid was getting sufficient current from the battery?

Load test the battery, the first step in troubleshooting a starter cranking problem.

Reactions: JLR

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
$75.00 for the new starter and that's all ya get, just the starter. No solenoid, relay, over run clutch, primary gasket, etc.. I would bench test that new starter before installing it too. Good luck, hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must have missed the part where you did any of the easy, simple, cheap things that I mentioned in post # 7...

People are quick to tell you what parts to replace with your money....

I`m just trying to help you determine what the issue is before pulling out your wallet.

Charging the battery is no help if the battery cannot pass a load test.

You jumped the solenoid, but..... Do you know if the solenoid was getting sufficient current from the battery?

Load test the battery, the first step in troubleshooting a starter cranking problem.
you were right dan, i should have done more testing. i bench tested the starter and it is fine. gonna send the new one back when it gets here. solenoid is clicking hard but when i add a test light to it , it wont light so thinking contacts are possibly bad. dont have a way to load test the battery tho.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just so you know a relay and a solenoid are the same thing, both have a coil that pulls a plunger to close contacts.
@Bumper Just so you know...

A solenoid and a relay are not the same thing.

A relay only performs an electrical switch function.

A solenoid performs and electrical switch function, and a mechanical function (such as moving a pinion gear).

This is one of the many things I have learned in 44 years as an aircraft mechanic, and over 50 years working on motorcycles.

But thanks for trying to school me...

·
91 FXLR
108 Posts
You can have a Charged up Battery and No AMPs/Volts to turn it over.

Put a Multi Meter on the Battery and Hit the Starter. From my experience if the Multi meter shows the Voltage drops to 9.5, 8, or lower the Battery is worthless. Time to buy a New one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts